window gasket replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of replacing the sealed units in my windows (well, planning it) and I seem to have hit a wall. I've spent many an hour trawling the internet trying to find a replacement U-channel type gasket to replace the current 30 year old ones, but I can't find the same ones anywhere! The sealed uni sits inside the gasket and the frame just pushes on then screws together. I've taken a sample and pictures with dims are below. Can anyone advise on how I can get an exact replacement / where to look? Or, perhaps what I could use as an alternative?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sam

IMG-20151210-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20151210-WA0000.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just had a quick google but couldn't find any as deep as yours. Have you tried emailing some of the suppliers/manufacturers?

I'm assuming these are some pretty old aluminum windows?
It may be worth posting some pics of the windows as someone may recognize the make which could help.

Also if the windows are that old other bits may be hard/impossible to get (hinges, handles, gearbox's etc.) in which case it may be worth getting some new windows rather than putting in a load of money and effort now to find you cant fix other problems down the line.

Is it aluminium windows? Tried sourcing some a while back, ended up using standard wedge on both sides.
I'm sure Crank will be along to save the day

Thank you both for getting back to me.

Yes, the gaskets are for old aluminium sliding sash windows. Everything else I need I have managed to source, so it's only the seals/gaskets that I need to get hold of. I've tried one supplier so far but no luck. I'll keep going though.

DHFrames - did you use some weather stripping or similar to bulk out the frame then use the standard wedges? The current gaskets hold the sealed unit centrally in the frame so if I were to use wedges only is there a risk that the glass could move within the frame?

Sponsored Links
Are you doing all the work yourself> If so you must be quite handy which is why I mentioned about new windows.

Its hard to say without photos but if they are old aluminum they may not look very nice now and will be unlikely to have any thermal breaks etc so they probably suffer from condensation.
Assuming your paying around £50 per glass unit (2 per window) plus quite a bit of time and effort to change and repair them. Upgrading/replacing may be the way to go. Cost price for A rated PVC sliders is around £300 each including the glass and they would come with a 10 year guarantee.
Glass would be much easier to replace in the future and thermally they would be much better that the old ones.

They certainly look like the gaskets I used years ago on glostal 75mm section Ali patio doors but in 2002 when regs changed and everything needed to be at least 24mm overall it made the 75mm patios obsolete overnight, the same probably for the windows, having said that i'm surprised there isnt any wholesalers selling it, been looking all day between jobs and haven't found any, seem to have drawn a blank this time

DHFrames - did you use some weather stripping or similar to bulk out the frame then use the standard wedges? The current gaskets hold the sealed unit centrally in the frame so if I were to use wedges only is there a risk that the glass could move within the frame?

Needed two of us, one either side to basically wedge at the same time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back