Window Install - How to shim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some background information - Location is Miami, Florida and house is 8" concrete block exterior walls.

I have taken apart a window that I hired someone to install - a terrible job which I regret so I am reinstalling it myself.

It is an aluminum window with a top and bottom pane. Down here due to hurricane code we have a metal brace across the middle anchored into the concrete with four 1/4" Tapcon screws on each end.

Following the instructions I have installed the window buck all the way around very close to the window frame dimensions - square, plumb and level.

Since these windows do not have nailing fins they need to be screwed into the concrete blocks through the buck. I lifted the window into the rough opening and it barely fits through with a tiny bit of a nudge.

The edge of the window frame is more like a "channel", with an wider outside flange, and a narrower inside lip, as shown in the picture below.

wininstall_zps10489ffc.jpg

Because of this "lip" which is about 1/4" wide, once I sit the window into the opening, it still has a 1/4" space all around between the inside edge (point D) of the window and the buck.

The installation instructions call for shimming between the edge and the buck before applying the Tapcon screws or the metal edge will be pulled into the buck.

Only problem is how do I shim it with the lip in the way? If I add another 1/4" all the way around the buck yes I will have the exact size I need, but I can no longer push the window in with the lip in the way.

If I try to insert shim under the screw hole, there is no gap to put the shim in unless I pry and mutilate the lip like this.

Wbuck_zps9ea6ec05.jpg

Sponsored Links
This "buck" (not an expression I've heard before) is this what we would call a sub frame? and does it come loose i.e. cut and fit to window aperture?? Is then the buck then fixed to the reveals???

If I've got this right then I would proceed in 2 stages as sketched below -

View media item 60775 The first stage, if done right, will set the window slap level and plum (please ensure you measure across the diagonals for square)

The second stage, with packers (working clearance) fixed to channel face, with silicone, is then slid into the previously fixed (screws and foamed) buck, aligned, screw fixed and foamed. Internal trim is at your option/choice. Hope this helps...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back