Window Leak- Cow Boy Builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Totally new to the site but looks great for getting advice. Recently I had a dormer conversion done on my home. I am pretty handy myself and have done done work too. However I had a big triangle window installed unfortunately by a bunch of cow boy builders. The internal cill plaster is now rotting with water- see attached. Not sure what is causing it and how to remedy. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. All the best Ben

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately a close up of the leak isnt terribly helpful for diagnosis.

Ideally an external image of the whole dormer would be more useful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies will try and get some better pictures. I can’t take close ups from the outside as it 3 story’s- not sure if these are any help?

Attachments

• FD16C7C5-8514-4913-9504-BE2D819A7789.jpeg
    FD16C7C5-8514-4913-9504-BE2D819A7789.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 96
  • A4ECE128-5D33-4E66-8F08-FFA638669375.jpeg
    A4ECE128-5D33-4E66-8F08-FFA638669375.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 94
If not leaking from that drainage hole :rolleyes: , it will be the cill detail externally.

That's a drainage cap which should be on the outside, also a tell tale sign is that it's now externally glazed, two signs this window was either surveyed wrong or made wrong and is the wrong hand, so they've flipped it round and fitted it but means the beads are outside and the drainage is inside, water is passing the gasket on the bead most likely in that corner and is coming straight through the drainage

Oh dear oh dear

Thanks so much for your advice, is there anyway to remedy the problem. I suspect the they made the frame the wrong way round. And fitted it anyway.

They probably made a template or took measurements and a sketch but the error happened when you write 'viewed from inside or outside ' whichever way you've drawn it, the fabricator then knows which way round it goes

Thanks so much for your advice, is there anyway to remedy the problem. I suspect the they made the frame the wrong way round. And fitted it anyway.
you could remove the drainage cap and seal it up ..BUT .. your beads are external , as mentioned , and now a security risk, Any water getting in the frame has no where to go

ONLY proper solution , is get the bodges to replace the window

The only way I could suggest is pop off the drainage cap, pump it full of silicone, then the tricky bit is on the outside you need to drill a hole in the bottom corner in the lowest part of the bead where its mitred with the vertical and angled, not too deep as you'll hit the glass but 5mm just enough to break through the bead, this should let water out, asthetically not great but when the other option is replace the frame then its worth a go, after all whos going to see it up there?

Hi Ben. Did an architect design this or yourselves? It looks great, but will give problems always. Even if you manage to stop the leak, the glass unit will fail quickly and fog up, as will any new units after. Window manufacturer and glass manufacturer will never warranty a window or glass in that position. A seasoned installer would have got the manufacturer to ok design and give gurantee.
window backwards by looks of it - template wrongly marked or production error. If you stick with design, this is a cheap enough fix for factory/fitting company to sort. A new frame will mean glass is fitted from inside and drainage is out.
all pvc windows have water ingress where glass meets frame. The drainage slots allow it to exit. Your window has all water running to a V cup that will have glass unit sitting in water. The seals will fail and fog up unit repeatedly.. its really exposed to the elements.
the solution is a window with a horizontal section at bottom of 600mm min to allow water run off long term. blame is probably just not knowing that design is flawed. Reverising window and saying nothing is bad form.
it looks nicely finished with the cladding and if the rest of work is good in house, then id suggest that you go easy when talking to builder or the window company if you were dealing directly. You want to get it fixed. Theyll respond to calm if half decent outfit and change frame, or alter shape and refinish at a affordable price for you.
get the frame reversed at least. make sure bottom weld joint is silicone sealed. short term fix. Remove plaster around bottom corner to see if water is from frame joint. Drill a 4- 6 mm hole through the drainage slot to the outside and plug the inside slot. Apply just enough sealant to cover slot after water has run out. Best of luck

Thanks so much for everyone’s replies they are really appreciated

How long ago was the work done?

You need to get them back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back