Window lintel, floor joists and a Contractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Advice would be very much appreciated.

I have commisioned a contractor to replace 2 lintels and cut and relpace one joist end.
When I arrived home after their first day working I found that they had cut the bottom corner of all six joists in order to get the new lintels in place.

They said they did this for 2 reasons:
1. The joists all had rot in the bottom corner (which I can't see now because it has been cut away).
2. Because the origional lintel had rotton it had slipped down, and hence all the joists and floor above had slipped down, so the new lintel would not fit without cutting the joists.

This now leaves me in the position of the contractor pricing a new qoute to fix all joists and raise the floor above. Work has come to a halt with my place in a mess and supports holding up the floor above.

Do you think the contractor has done the right thing?

My concerns are:
1. I cannot see any rot in the joists (aparently the contractor can provide photos for proof).
2. If there was a problem and they could not install the lintels, should they should have stopped work and informed me prior to cutting my joists?

(I would insert an image if I knew how)

Advice would be very much appreciated.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Another question, Do you think the joist would be strong enough to rest as it is (this is one of the worst ones)? I'm considering finishing off the work myself.

lintel4.jpg

Sponsored Links
He should have rang you and explained the situation, prior to commencing the new work (this is I expect and happens). However because I trust my guys, they always get the yes.

Also because these are joist that your talking about. I would look to collating as much information as possible, in case I need to take it further!

Not saying this is what you should do, just what I would do.

P.S. I dont mean to scare you, as this might turn out to be nothing and be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back