window lintels,can I use wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I'm currently building a 2 leaf garage (7.46metre x 3.010 metre)with a 75mm cavity and 50mm eps insulation,all built from correct concrete/rebar strip footings
inner leaf mid lightweight block, outer leaf engineering brick
As the window frames will be fixed to the outer leaf,at the top of my upvc window frames, I'm considering of leaving a steel lintel out and just placing treated wood over the top as the frame in place which will meet the roof joist and soffit(there will be no coarses above this wood) ,

and for the inner leaf,I was planning for the wooden wall plate to span across the window openings (these spans are 2.46metre and 1.85 metres).as the roof will be of 5 x 2 roof joists with 18mm sterling board and an epdm membrame to waterproof
Is this ok as it makes sense on the inner leaf ,as there is no load ,but for the inner leaf I have the roofs joists and roof to support at those 2 openings?

Sponsored Links
Wood for outer leaf with no load not a problem.
I can't quite understand what you are doing for the inner leaf, but you'll need something to take the weight of the roof, a box lintel etc.

thanks tomfe for your reply
was going to now add a concrete lintel 2 coarse high on the inside (due to roof weight)then either lay a 4"x3 " timber and put 1 coarse above it to take weap holes above a layed in dpc or just lay a 4" x 6" and do away with the weap holes and just lay dpc over both lintel and top of timber
the timber on the outer leaf will have pvc screwed to it for a finished look
will the 4" x 3" timber be sufficient to hold the 1 coarse of bricks with weap holes?

Sponsored Links
I am not quite getting what you are doing.
This is what I would do put a concrete lintel above the window on the inner skin, then build up with brick/block to the wall pate.
You don't need a dpc/weep holes/cavity tray, as the roof is gonging to the same level as the top external window course. Unless I have missed something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back