window maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
need some advice.bought this property a year ago. the prevoius owner told me that the windows need treatment/painting every two years. there were holes in between the double glaze and the wood frame which sometimes let water through. i have sealed this with filler.
my problem is , do i have to strip the old paint off before applying new paint. can i just paint over the old paint?
please have a look at the picture and or link below.
how do i maintain these windows.any paint recommended?
please advice.

IMG_0899.jpg

Sponsored Links
kofi2003uk said:
the prevoius owner told me that the windows need treatment/painting every two years. there were holes in between the double glaze and the wood frame which sometimes let water through. i have sealed this with filler.
They maybe condensation drain hole! Can you do a photo where the holes are?
my problem is , do i have to strip the old paint off before applying new paint. can i just paint over the old paint?
The problem is, the window will get darker and darker when painting them over the years, My opinion would be to strip off all the paint back to bare wood and treat it with oil such as Tung Oil every year which will give the beauty of woodgrain and it's so easy & quick to do. Just take your time rubbing it down to bare wood as you will need a lot of patience!

many thanks for the reply. i agree with your suggestion totally. what is the easiest way to strip this paint off. do i just use sand paper?
any suggestions? many thanks.

hello Masona,
sorry if i sound silly but i am a novice here.tung oil- do i just paint the wood with it after stripping it of the paint. do i then have to paint over after the tung oil has dried?
thanks

Sponsored Links
kofi2003uk said:
what is the easiest way to strip this paint off. do i just use sand paper?
I would use paint stripper to start with and where the moulding is, use steel wool or make a wood shape of the moulding with glasspaper. Orbit or mouse sander is a real bonus, if you do a search on Tung Oil here, been covered a loads of time, to start with 50/50 white spirit/tung oil 1 coat per day for 7 days then once month then yearly, doesn't take long to do, wipe it on with a rags etc.

I've stopped thinning the tung oil for most purposes, and use a heat gun to warm it up and make it thinner, It means I don't have fingers smelling of white spirit when eating my sandwiches.

Melting beeswax and tung oil together 1 wax to 4 or 5 oil, then letting it cool, makes a final coating that repels the water well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back