Window Opening question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Require some advice please

Mid terraced property customer wants to split the front master bedroom in to two creating smaller bedroom and a bathroom (moving it from the back to the front of the property).

For the bathroom a new small window opening is required

is that a planning application or building regs only

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not a small one

Mid terraced house. 2 windows on each floor master bedroom first floor and front room on ground floor. Also a front door entrance

Standard terraced house windowns 6 x 3ft

I don't know where everybody's got to today. Well, as long as the property isn't listed/in a conservation area/subject to any article 4 exclusions, and permitted development rights are intact, then you should not need to apply for planning permission for insertion of new windows of a similar appearance to those already there - but I'd get the view of the duty planning officer just to be sure.

Apply to get a lawful development certificate (LDC) to protect your backside.

Inserting a new window in a front elevation is permitted development, pure and simple. (unless a listed building etc).
(No point in asking the planning department - by default they will just say it does need p.p. to get the fee in)

tony1851 My only concern is that requirement to match existing windows. Presumably, it means in terms of style and materials only?

Yes, it's a common misconception that new windows need planning permission, even among planning officers, who should know better.

Look in Class A of the GPDO, and there is no prohibition on new windows to any elevation. As this is not expressly prohibited, it is permitted.

Yes, it simply says that materials must be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior - appropriately vague.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back