Window reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After some advice on how to fix this please.

I took the tiles off in the bathroom and most of the plaster came with them, exposing this gap between the reveal and frame.

It's a solid blockwork wall, no cavity. If I feel inside the gap, I can feel the end of the cill which appears to be open.

I believe water can potentially flow through the cill so not keen on just squirting it full of expanding foam unless it wicks moisture into the wall.

I plan to use insulated plasterboard to repair the reveals (they won't be tiled) but in terms of the gap, what is best to use? Was thinking of pumping silicone into the bottom corners to seal the cill, do I then need a damp proof membrane?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_114909_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221217_114909_HDR.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20221217_114932_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221217_114932_HDR.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Masking over window frame and mist spray water, then fill with foam.
When dry cut foam back tidy.
Remove masking from frame.
Pva dry surface all the around.
Dot and dab plasterboard around to square up.
Maybe more then one layer of board to build out. A sheet of 15mm board will do it all as I bit thicker. About £12 a sheet.
Or that insulated board as you say..

Last edited:
Fit a DPC before foam.
We make our own closers with DPC and foil PIR. Always foam them in.
I'm a massive fan of ex-foam in the right circumstances. It is so good at what it does, especially in the fight against draughts, condensation and awkward fixing. I've not used it to fix plasterboards but I have fixed foil PIR sheets with it.

Sponsored Links
Seal wood sill ends?
Rattle can of BIN as dries quick.
Can use duck tape as well.
I sometimes set sill on filler to level so use duck tape again to top the damp getting in mdf or wood.
Then foam it.

Don't forget to cut the sill ears.

We make our own closers with DPC and foil PIR. Always foam them in.
I'm a massive fan of ex-foam in the right circumstances. It is so good at what it does, especially in the fight against draughts, condensation and awkward fixing. I've not used it to fix plasterboards but I have fixed foil PIR sheets with it.
Yes, i used to see expanding foam as a bodgers gift, but like you say, in the right circumstances it's a great thing to use, and a lot better than any alternative.

And the use with a gun is unbelievably better than the uncontrollable tube cans. That's key .... and the spray mister.

If I am boarding, I only use foam now. You can be skimming within a few hours.

Seal wood sill ends?
Rattle can of BIN as dries quick.
Can use duck tape as well.
I sometimes set sill on filler to level so use duck tape again to top the damp getting in mdf or wood.
Then foam it.

Don't forget to cut the sill ears.
Sorry no it's uPVC. Asking as I had another window that was causing damp spots in the bottom corners of the reveals, due to water tracking through the cill. So wondered if it was worth sealing the ends with silicone while exposed

Outlaws window was the same.
Fitters wanted to put new window in so I run silicone around but no change to the water leaking in the corners. Had me puzzled as looked fine.
I bought the £15 foam gun from B&Q.
Pushed mastic nozzle on the end.
From the outside rammed in nozzle and filled with foam.
Run new silicone around window and 5+ years its still good

Silicone is the only thing stopping the water running over the flat bricks which wasn't doing then job.
Other problem is fitters not wanting to pull brick out for sill ears. They just cut sill and mastic up. Some sills don't even have the ears which is worse

If I am boarding, I only use foam now. You can be skimming within a few hours.
Does the wall need to be pretty straight beforehand? I can’t see how you’d plumb boards with foam like you can with dab, never tried it for that reason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back