Window silicone . . . . is it good enough?

Sponsored Links
Very poor, it may of helped if they chopped the plaster back a bit more, it would given them more of an edge on the outside to seal to, did they chop any plaster back?

Sponsored Links
If it looked like that once I had siliconed it I would have stuck a small trim over the silicone too cover it

They've used masking tape then rubbed it all over the brickwork.
If the gaps were small I'd use clear or a fillet trim, illbruck tape would be another option
What does the inside look like?

Hi, just had some nice new UPVC sash windows installed but am a little disappointed with the silicone round the edges. Was hoping for a tidier job. Is it me ?
it's you and me bro. That's about par for the course for window "fitters" The good thing is you can probably remove it because they tend to use silicone that doesn't stick well to plastic - I've done mine - but it pi**es me off cuz it takes longer to do than they take to "fit" the things in the first place, I went to a job once and the place had yards of silicone strings hanging and blowing in the wind where they had done soffit+fascis + windows - some time before camera phones or I'd have captured it . Solved it by using neutral curing silicone. That sticks to plastic like the proverbial.

Sorry to say but that is shockingly bad.
I had some building work done and once I saw one window I told them not to seal any more and that I will do it. Masking tape on the upvc and gorilla tape on the brickwork (nothing else seems to stick to rough brick).Then smooth down when its gone off a little with some spit in the palm of your hand to dab a finger in and the slimy spit helps your finger glide and get a perfect finish. Then peal the tape off before the silicon is fully cured, sometimes then a little extra spit and a smooth off if there are any raised edges. Once fully cured there will be a few "sneaky" blobs of silicone that has got under your gorilla tape along the texture of the brick or the pointed mortar so you just cut them with a knife and pull them off.
Yes it takes ages but my view is that you only have to do it once so what's 4 hours work compared to the life of the windows.

Sorry to say but that is shockingly bad.
I had some building work done and once I saw one window I told them not to seal any more and that I will do it. Masking tape on the upvc and gorilla tape on the brickwork (nothing else seems to stick to rough brick).Then smooth down when its gone off a little with some spit in the palm of your hand to dab a finger in and the slimy spit helps your finger glide and get a perfect finish. Then peal the tape off before the silicon is fully cured, sometimes then a little extra spit and a smooth off if there are any raised edges. Once fully cured there will be a few "sneaky" blobs of silicone that has got under your gorilla tape along the texture of the brick or the pointed mortar so you just cut them with a knife and pull them off.
Yes it takes ages but my view is that you only have to do it once so what's 4 hours work compared to the life of the windows.

Kind of agree with that, I'm salaried and could take 4 hours to complete a window where as most window fitters might only get £50/60 per window and that's split in half if there's 2 in a team, maybe even pay their own diesel as well, now I'm not sticking up for them and it's no excuse when the homeowner is paying hard earned cash but when your rushing like a tw*t that's what sometimes happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back