window to door conversion

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some guidance here chaps...

I have a door width window that the wife wants making into a door (to the outside).
1. Does this require to be done under building control?
2. What should I be looking for in terms of existing lintels? Does each skin have it's own lintel?
3. I plan to cut the lower brickwork with a cutter and simply insert a ready made door frame from Magnet. How do I close the cavity between the outer and inner courses on the cut brickwork?

Thanks in advance ...

Sponsored Links
1 make an application and speak to them about inspections (make sure you are allowed to enlarge the window to a door - it may need to be a fire door if you are close to the boundary)also check with planning dept
2 yes each skin should have support from a lintel (check that window isnt loadbearing!)
3You cound use an insulated closer e,g thermabate

Hi

I have just done exactly the same thing you propose.

You should find the BCO helpful and you will definitely need to submit a Building Regs Notice. (The notice should cost about £50 - £60 for the work you propose).

There should be a lintel in situ on both skins already, if a window is present? Unless the window is loadbearing - which will probably mean a bit of hassle for you and a new lintel on the inner skin. I was lucky and already had a very solid Reinforced Concrete lintel across both skins where the window was - which was long enough and sturdy enough to use above the new door frame without the CBO getting funny about it.

A stone cutter will be fine to cut the bricks with - if you have a good eye for a straight line!! I took the window out first to give me an eye for the right line to follow. I cut the bricks in the outer skin out first, and then cut the internal skin from the outside to prevent the house filling with dust so much. A bit fiddly, but well worth the extra effort - The dust would have got everywhere for weeks otherwise!

I filled the cavity between the skins with insulating foam spray - then fitted the door and lined the remaining bit of the exposed internal brickwork of the new doorway with a wooden frame - as it ties in with the rest of the wood in the house. A bit of tidying up and frame sealant to finish the job off and it was done in a day.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back