Window vents brainstorm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents,
I have all windows with vents. I also have a standard ventilation fan in the bathroom and twice bigger in the kitchen.
Considering the house is old it all makes it a bit drafty to say the least.
Currently I blocked all of the vents because of the winter but I want to re-commission some of them when it will get hot outside.
I plan to decommission some of them permanently, tape them from both sides not just from inside.

My question is if you could help to brainstorm this conundrum.
I have windows in this configuration:
3 windows downstairs facing south
2 windows upstairs facing south
2 windows downstairs facing north
2 windows upstairs facing north

Considering that the hot air raises I think I should completely decommission the vents on the windows facing south and only leave the north facing ones for effective summer ventilation.
Am I right or would there be a better arrangement?
Please advise.
Thank you
P.S. I know everything about the humidity and keep monitoring it. It's dry (45%) in the house even with all the vents blocked for months now.
On top of that there is a fire stove that I reckon makes it even drier in the house.
I reckon even a closed stove draws some air into the chimney. I reckon this could also help with the ventilation in the summer.

Sponsored Links
In Germany as part of rent agreement you have to open Windows for half hour every day to let dry air in and moist air out. Called airing the house.
This is even at -20c
We seem to be hung up on shutting everything thinking our heating bill will double.
Houses are running in condensation with moist air harder to heat dumping on cold glass.
Learn a little about vents ect. See If you can find away to manage

whwer are you testing relative humidity? Ever get condesation on your windows?

I reckon even a closed stove draws some air into the chimney. I reckon this could also help with the ventilation in the summer.

I find the best way to maintain the house cooler in summer, is to restrict ventilation during the day, and close binds on the sun facing side, to limit IR heating. Then as it becomes cooler, from the late evening, to open windows to release accumulated heat from the day.

Sponsored Links
Some people seem obsessed with reinventing the[ventilation]wheel!
Are you talking about me?
I asked about vents, which ones are the best candidates to leave.
There are these 3rd party vents that open close depending on the humidity but I think I stick to manual as the relative humidity hardly changes.

where are the four sensors? Is that a constant 46/47 % all day?

Any black patches on walls? ( check behind units/ wardrobes etc )

where are the four sensors? Is that a constant 46/47 % all day?

Any black patches on walls? ( check behind units/ wardrobes etc )
Hi, no black patches on the walls. The house has outside insulation so I think the interior is drier.

Well I'm gonna confess... seems you have no issues with mould or damp ( most houses do ). My only concern is that if you seal the trickle vents up you may increase your chances of getting black mould ( I'm not saying you will get it at all ) , so the decision is entirely up to you and then which vents to seal? Well again really up to you, don't think we can make that decision for you

I think the best arrangement is to leave vents of downstairs north facing windows and either south or north upstairs but downstairs south does not make sense as it only draws hot air in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back