WINDOWS 7 & DRIVERS OF EXISTING DEVICES NOT COMPATIBLE H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but this problem is at the end of my last Hardware Posting. I thought I had better bring it up as a new topic as it is a different subject and so may not receive any replies due to the subject title.
Its simple, well not literally. My new PC is installed with WINDOWS 7 but I cannot any of my old devices to run on here.
I have tried downloading the drivers from the manufacturers own sites but this has not worked. I have just phoned Vivicam re my cameral and all they said was that the software for the drivers that they have is not compatible with WINDOWS 7 and so I should try installing XP or something else.
Now I dont want to be getting into all that. We have just simply purchased a new PC from a well know store and are now encountering all these problems. Microsoft say it is up to the manufacturer to supply you with an up to date driver, the manufacturers are saying WINDOWS 7 should come with the correct drivers.
Your help on what to do or recommended driver download sites would be much appreciated.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
What do you need the camera drivers for? If it's simply to download the photos from camera to hard drive, you can just connect via USB, and Windows will give you options, one of which is something like 'copy pictures'. If you cannot connect camera via USB, use a card reader, and do the same. Windows should see any device, and worse case scenario, you'll have to manually copy the photos.

All I want is for my devices to work as they did on my old PC. I have installed the software which installed no probs. then when I plug the camera into the USB port 'Windows' detects New Hardware but then gives me the message New Hardware Driver not found.
I shouldnt have to be copying and transfering files to this this and this, the pics should open in the programme software that has installed fine but they wont because the drivers cannot be found. This is happening on both the cameras that I have. I have also tried different USB ports which was suggested Cannon but this failed.
I think the problem is WINDOWS 7 but I cannot wait until they decide to issue updates.
This is the message I just received from Canon:
Regarding your query, please be advised we are still in the process of developing software for the Windows 7 operating system. Although this camera should be detected by Windows 7 itself by the built in driver. What you could try is to perform a Windows update and try a different port.
I really need to get up and running on this thing, I have been trying for hours each day since Monday and am not at my wits end.

Connect your camera to the PC, and then when it says 'driver not found', open up windows explporer (Winkey + E) and you should see a 'removable drive' -that's your camera. open this, and you can access your photos

you're 100% correct in saying that you shouldn't have to work in this way, but it seems that Canon are pretty poor at supporting their customers - it's not as if Windows 7 was launched without any warning, they've had plenty of time to get their drivers out.

Sponsored Links
You are perfectly correct but its not just Canon its Vivitar, and I would presume anyone else if I get round to ringing them.
I will try what you have suggested and get back and let you know. At the minute I am on the phone to Comet (ha).

No nothing has happened. Plugged camera into USB went to explorer, my computer, and nothing even showed up. If I plug in my memory card to the USB this then shows in the list on 'my computer'.
There is nothing wrong with the camera as I have installed both cameras back onto my old PC and they work fine.

Have now just spent ages on the phone to Acer and they are telling me do a complete system recovery.
There is nothing to recover. It was only taken from its box on Monday and apart from using the internet we havnt used the computer for anything else. Surely I should not be doing this on 4 day old computer.
Any advances?

Try this ... <Start> <Help and Support>

Type compatability mode into the search bar --

Have a read...

"2. What is program compatibility?
3. Program Compatibility Assistant: frequently asked questions
4. Make older programs run in this version of Windows "

Win-7_comp.jpg

Perhaps this may help.

-0-

I have installed the software which installed no probs.

On the sleeve of the software CD does it say what operating systems it works on?

Have you gone to Windows Updates since you first started the computer when you bought it? Run another update check and try to update with the camera plugged into the computer. If it senses the camera it may check if it needs updated drivers from Windows.
My feeling is that if the camera manufacturers have not got new drivers on their website then there is very little chance from Windows but try it, because a Vista driver may work.

Does anything work that is plugged into the USB ports that you have been plugging the camera into? A USB memory stick etc.

Can I just say thank you to you all for your efforts.
But there has been nothing wrong with the PC, the camera, or the drivers.
I was just about to try one of your suggestions, so pugged camera into USB, switched the camera on, and on the camera screen it says something like 'PC PHOTOS' or, you can change the mode to 'MASS STORAGE'. Hmmm.
I changed to Mass Storage and the photos came up, opened on my photo software.
I dont know why I didnt try this in the first place, but nothing was telling to do this, not even in the manual.
So thanks again a happy ending.

Good to hear that you got there in the end :) Weird that PC decided to suddenly 'see' your camera.

See the reply to your problem with old devices and Windows 7, earlier in this thread.

When youhave this problem, and you have the installer software for the device, right click on the setup.exe file and select the compatibility wizard, from the context menu.

This does assume that you have the Releveant updates from M$

Sponsored Links
Back