WINDOWS 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a netbook the other day and it came preloaded with xp home,now i assume you all know that netbooks don't have a optical drive,unless you buy a external drive(more expence)...if you want to upgrade to windows 7 is it a download from m$ website?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it can be downloaded (legally) but even if it can then it would be in the form of a DVD image that you need to burn.
You have a couple of options really.
The first is to buy or borrow a USB DVD drive.
The second is to use a large USB memory stick and use a piece of software to load a DVD image onto it. I have used http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ before but you will need to use another piece of software to rip the windows DVD to a .ISO file.

ah yes thanks for that,just had another answer off twitter,and m$ are bringing out a windows 7 usb stick which is going to solve this problem,
so i'll wait and see.thanks

Sponsored Links
unless there's a good reason, I wouldn't bother, netbooks are not the most powerful things in the world, and as with all things MS, W7 is bloated, personally I'd stick with XP.

unless there's a good reason, I wouldn't bother, netbooks are not the most powerful things in the world, and as with all things MS, W7 is bloated, personally I'd stick with XP.

It's nowhere NEAR as bloated as Vista is

I have Win 7 running in M$ virtual mc. also Win98 and XP home -- why? Because I can ! All without actually using a physical CD/DVD drive for the installation... I am no expert but interested enough to have a pop...
Just mount disc iso image in virtual drive... It is easy as that - almost.
BTW Win98 in the VM with all updates available applied- actually rips along !
Good innit?
:D

I have Win 7 running in M$ virtual mc. also Win98 and XP home -- why? Because I can ! All without actually using a physical CD/DVD drive for the installation... I am no expert but interested enough to have a pop...
Good innit?

why Win 98? :confused:

Good innit?

why Win 98? :confused:

For the fun of it... Plus the fact that a) I have original CD b) It takes little space.
Plenty ram plus plenty system grunt plus enquiring mind... oops, plus plenty time ! = A good laff !!

It's nowhere NEAR as bloated as Vista is

That's probably true, but the less said about Vista the better ! I'm currently using Vista and XP and whilst it smacks of jumping on the band wagon, I have to say Vista is rubbish.

A better choice for a netbook would be a Linux distribution with a lightweight desktop environment like XFCE. Generally your netbook would be more secure, have a smaller system footprint in general and would still retain all the functionality required for a netbook (from a more biased point of view it would be better in every aspect).

I've always been a Debian user and would always recommend that above other distributions, unless you're a newbie where I would recommend something like Ubuntu (or Xubuntu with XFCE) where some of the configuration work is taken out.

The problem with platform changes is twofold, 1. Having to learn how to manage and use the said new platform and 2. Having to lose prior investment in software and reinvest in new. There's no reason that Windows 7 shouldn't run on a netbook as long as it meets the required spec.

Windows 7 seems to be very good. I've recently upgraded from XP pro to Windows 7 pro and the whole thing was easy. If you've bought a normal installation copy then just format your hard disk (saving all the stuff you need first, of course) then do a clean install. If you've bought an upgrade copy then do the same thing but do a clean install of XP first, and then run the upgrade and delete the windows.old directory afterwards. Just buy a USB optical drive to do the install - they aren't that expensive and it'll prove useful for backing stuff up anyway.

The benefits from using Linux in the first place far outweigh the cons you have listed. Learning to use a desktop orientated distribution of Linux is quick and very simple, not to mention that installing new applications via the package manager is far simpler than what Windows offers.

As for investment, Linux and the software required costs absolutely nothing. Not to mention that the majority of that software is far superior than some of the software you would normally pay for. Any prior software can still be used since Windows applications can be run in WINE or a VM.

The reason for suggesting an alternative operating system was not that Windows 7 would not run on his netbook but rather there is a better choice, especially for a netbook.

WINE will not run all Windows apps, and VM setup isn't a straightforward matter either. Even with the recent improvements in Linux distros and package managers, it's still very much a techies OS.

The average user wants an OS that does everything for him and applications that are available off shelf or online that install without worrying about dependencies and the like, and that run without quirks that need practice and research to overcome. This is why Linux has not taken off as a mainstream OS.

Sponsored Links
Back