WINDOWS 7

WINE runs most applications very well with no configuration at all in modern distributions. You don't have to worry about dependencies when using a package manager, that's one of the fundamental ideas of a package manager, not to mention that all the software you require is in one central repository. To me this is a lot easier than having to hunt around for an application that does what you want. The majority of people I've successfully convinced to use Linux have been impressed with having a large collection of software in one place.

If you want to talk about minimal hassle let's talk about Windows driver installations, or the amount of "badware" out there that affects a Windows installation potentially causing issues further down the road. Not to mention the day to day security vulnerabilities. The idea that Windows is easier to install and use is false when compared to a modern Linux distribution.

For a netbook a Linux distribution is perfect, all of the software required for day to day use is installed by default and requires little to no configuration.

There's one reason that Linux hasn't taken off and that's because people are afraid of change (or are subject to all of the negative advertising by Microsoft, or because they buy a computer with Windows pre-installed), modern distributions are incredibly user friendly and simple to use, so much in fact that my parents use Debian. What makes people less inclined to use Linux is misinformation from a third party or reliance on inferior software because it's familiar.

All I'm saying is, Linux is free give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Pip, never mind Win98, Mrs Secure's old laptop is still running Win 3.1!!

Synapse, you are Linus Torvalds and I claim my £5. :p

In all seriousness, I've tried and used just about every Linux distro from Slackware up to Ubuntu and while things have improved immensely, it's still a techie OS no matter how you dress it up - it's a UNIX after all.
what he knows.

Sponsored Links
I can trump that I've still got an OS/2 partition knocking about somewhere :eek:

I can trump that I've still got an OS/2 partition knocking about somewhere :eek:

Haha I remember when they used to give OS/2 Warp away for free. It was a good OS though, very resilient. Woolworths used to use OS/2 with IBM Lan Manager on a token ring topology for its EPOS system. Very robust but somewhat dated.

Just dumped original boxed OS2... used in anger during early to mid 90's

Still have Lotus 123 - Ami Pro - Freelance - Boxed set (1990'ish) manuals the whole bit... Ami Pro was pretty good Word Processor as I recall.
Blimey have SuperCalc (Dos) lurking somewhere on 5 1/4" disk... From the early 80's.

:D

So far I've got round to updating 3 of my pc's (inc my netbook, NC10)

Win 7 Pro on my office PC and home premium on the others.

So far it has been excellent. They all 'fly' now compared to xp and vista previous versions.

All have been clean installs.

Haha I remember when they used to give OS/2 Warp away for free. It was a good OS though, very resilient. Woolworths used to use OS/2 with IBM Lan Manager on a token ring topology for its EPOS system. Very robust but somewhat dated.

So, it should be M$ nicked most of the technology to make NT thence 2000, XP, Vista, W7. A lot of banks used OS/2, yes it was a good OS in it's day, quicker than NT, somewhat lacking in security, and infuriatingly after you's been using NT for a while you'd nonchalantly walk up to an OS/2 box, press Ctrl - Alt - Delete and hey presto, reboot the thing!

But back to the original question, personally I'd stick with XP, If you're not familiar with Linux, then I wouldn't go down that route, not that it's not a good OS, it is, but things never seem to work that seemlessly on Linux.

unless there's a good reason, I wouldn't bother, netbooks are not the most powerful things in the world, and as with all things MS, W7 is bloated, personally I'd stick with XP.

It's nowhere NEAR as bloated as Vista is

I agree Mike, Windows 7 is far better and my resource useage now is far less than it was with Vista AND XP. Fast, reliable and a smaller footprint than Vista. Would recommend any day, MS have got it right finally.

So far I've got round to updating 3 of my pc's (inc my netbook, NC10)

Win 7 Pro on my office PC and home premium on the others.

So far it has been excellent. They all 'fly' now compared to xp and vista previous versions.

All have been clean installs.

Good point Dave, I did have a BSOD with the Vista > W7 upgrade. One of my drivers was incompatible. Clean install no problem at all.

Cheers,
Bret

Sponsored Links
Back