windows 8

I've been on Ubuntu since 10.04, had a mother board failure in an old machine figured every other part was fine so brought a new board (along with CPU and RAM) and used the case, hard drives, optical drives and PSU from the current (failed) machine I was going put XP on the machine but didn't have the £125 to spend on the software so went to Ubuntu in the short term and it has kind of stuck.

Now using 13.04 looking at 13.10 when it comes out to try on one of the work tablets to see if the touch features are any good.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm away from home at the moment and have access to a laptop running Win 8. Been using this crap for 2 days now and am finding it very tiresome. IE, opens without a close button and there's no address bar at the top. To change sites I have to press the Windows key, then select IE, and there's the address bar at the bottom, (if I'm not fast enough the address bar disappears) Rinse and repeat. Apart from this very frustrating, niggle, that and Norton going mental every few minutes (not my Lappy else I'd ditch Norton AV) I'm finding it fairly fast, (but as it's a fairly new machine, I expect it will eventually slow down to a crawl (much like every other Microsoft offering) ;)

Sponsored Links
is windows 8 any good

Terrible. Had to revert back to Windows 7!

It starts up lightning fast in comparison to 7, give it a go with classicshell and forget about metro. You may need to switch off swipe gestures on your touchpad to prevent the "charms" bar from appearing on the right when you don't want it.

I'll do that when I get home from work later! (Got both installed atm)
But I have noticed the speed the computer takes to load up, probably the only thing I miss after reverting back.

I'll go as far as saying I like 8 enough on my new laptop that I've ordered a copy for my old one too (on which windows 7 has ground to a halt despite it being a fairly decent spec).

Sponsored Links
Back