windows 8

Sponsored Links
My wife got a new laptop with it installed. She's getting used to it; I think it's crap.

Reason: it's designed for tablets or smart phones with touch-sensitive screens, and I don't think it's the best job for traditional laptops or desktops.

Another problem that I've heard of is that a number of applications no longer run under Windows 8 and, of course, it doesn't support CD players.

Windows Vista was commonly thought to have been a disaster, and I think Windows 8 is another mistake.

You're welcome. That is my job as a missionary, after all! :LOL:

Seriously, I'd either see if I could get a computer with Windows 7 loaded (the best yet, in my opinion) or wait for 'Windows 9' which I'm sure will be along before you know it.

Still, don't take just my word for it. Google some computer magazines and see what other people think.

Sponsored Links
Windows 8, for long-time PC users is terrible. The lack of a start button and a menu to access everything else causes much head scratching (and bad language!) Thinking about it, it's a return to Windows 3.1, but thank goodness ALT-F4 still closes programs and closes Windows down, giving the opportunity to shut down, restart or log out!

Whether or not the changes made by installing "Service Pack One" (they have some other hifalutin name for it now) will restore the start button (which has been there since Windows 95/NT4) and restore sanity, I do not know.

is windows 8 any good
It's perfect for those people who have fat fingers and like using those tablet things with grease smeared touch screens.

For any proper computer, it's a total disaster.

It should also be called Window 8, since it doesn't support multiple windows any more.

Windows 8, for long-time PC users is terrible. The lack of a start button and a menu to access everything else causes much head scratching (and bad language!) Thinking about it, it's a return to Windows 3.1, but thank goodness ALT-F4 still closes programs and closes Windows down, giving the opportunity to shut down, restart or log out!

Whether or not the changes made by installing "Service Pack One" (they have some other hifalutin name for it now) will restore the start button (which has been there since Windows 95/NT4) and restore sanity, I do not know.

As I understand it, you can download some free software (not Microsoft) that will restore the Start button.

But if so many people want it back, why remove it in the first place? Doesn't Microsoft research public opinion before making such profound changes?

Windows 8.1 is due for release soon and Microsoft have brought back the start button.

If it were me, based on the timing of the release, I would opt for Windows 8 and then await the upgrade. I have used Win 8 for a couple of months (for testing) and it takes a little getting used to. For home use I would say it is fine (even without the start button). For a work environment where you are using multiple applications at once it can be a bit of a pain.

More info on Win 8.1:
http://www.pc-tablet.com/27708-windows-81-features-leaks-release-date-approached/

45 mins it was on my pc and 25 of those was the loading of it. Windows 7 back on and staying on till they bring out XP2 :rolleyes:

I still think they should have designed Windows 8 for touch-screen applications only and made appropriate improvements to Windows 7 for non-touch-screen computers.

Surely it should be possible to have two up-to-date operating systems running side by side rather than forcing 8 on everyone.

I haven't looked particularly hard, but is it still possible to buy a new computer or laptop with Windows 7 installed?

Win8Pro 64bit (purchased from M$ for £24.99 back in Dec.) 8.1 will be free upgrade.

Using http://www.classicshell.net/, start button plus.
I don't notice much difference, if any, from our Win7 m/cs.

CD / DVD read/writer works flawlessly.

Right now running Opera browser plus several background prog's including Serviio media streaming server... Altogether using 2.3GB memory.

-0-

I get on OK with it. It runs my applications, games, browser and e-mail program fine. Just a different screen used for starting them up.

I haven't looked particularly hard, but is it still possible to buy a new computer or laptop with Windows 7 installed?
Unlikely - once a new version is released, the only people who can generally get older ones are large corporate customers who need the older version for some particular reason.

The main consumer vendors will supply whatever is the latest thing, and with the silly rush towards tablets and similar devices, Windows 7 won't be available there.

However, Windows 7 is still available to purchase as a separate item.

Interesting thread. I'm the CTO of a software company and have already concluded that we will not be rolling out Windows 8 to our internal users. We'll wait until Windows 9 comes out, on the assumption that Microsoft will have listened to all of the perfectly valid issues listed ^^^up there^^^ and stepped back from so many simply horrible mistakes.

Astra99 hit the nail on the head; for new users, it's actually fine. Not perfect, but good enough.
But for anyone who has ever used any kind of desktop computer running Windows, Mac OS (OSX) or whatever, it is a total disaster. So much has been changed to attempt to push a single operating system (Windows 8 ) on both desktop devices and the spectacular failure that is the Windows Surface tablet. It's a failed attempt to get all of us to "love" Windows 8 and then forsake our iPads and Android tablets and rush out and buy a Microsoft Surface table instead.

Do you know anyone who has a Microsoft Surface tablet? Thought not... and it's been out for over a year now.

Of course, some people will accuse us of being Luddites; afraid of change. But that's not the point; change for the sake of being different is counter-productive, and that's why I won't roll it out to my users at work - my hard-worked IT team will have to start spending time explaining how to install printers, log off, shutdown, find programs, run more than one app side-by-side, etc, etc, etc.
If we stick with Windows 7 then there is absolutely no need for all that retraining and additional support.

A number of PC manufacturers have been hit hard by the Windows 8 disaster and so will let you but a new PC with Windows 7 installed instead of Windows 8. Dell is the most prominent.

My advice, therefore, is to stick with Windows 7 if you can. Windows 8 has been attributed as a primary cause of PC sales falling off a cliff so Microsoft has to do something drastic to make Windows 9 appealing again, otherwise they will become irrelevant to the computing marketplace of 2015 and beyond.

End of rant. Apologies :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back