Windows 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,

I currently am using windows xp and when i boot up i get a warning to upgrade to windows 8.
My question is if i click on the upgrade to windows 8 will i loose everything from my documents and what i have on my desktop. Will my emails be safe and not lost.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is nothing you can click to upgrade to anything from XP.
It's probably the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which will tell you if the machine is suitable for installing Windows 8.

Regardless of what it may say, the reality is that a machine from the XP era will be woefully inadequate for Windows 8 or 10.
It's time to buy a new machine.

Sponsored Links
Windows XP is no longer support by Microsoft, supported ended April 8, 2014. Unsupported releases for you means, Microsoft will no longer release any Windows Update for any security or vulnerability that may be still present in Windows XP.

As flameport as said, Windows XP machine hardware will not support Windows 8 or Windows 10 - time to purchase a new machine.

An old XP machine will probably work with Linux Mint better than any upgraded windows version. If it can take a solid state disk drive (around 30-40 quid) it will probably work fairly well. linux mint is an entirely free alternative which is fairly easy to use and fairly hard to get a virus on. It also comes pre-built with a lot of free alternatives to word, excel, powerpoint, photoshop etc. its my default choice for old laptops that have seen better days along with video and image editing.

Windows XP is no longer support by Microsoft, supported ended April 8, 2014. Unsupported releases for you means, Microsoft will no longer release any Windows Update for any security or vulnerability that may be still present in Windows XP.

As flameport as said, Windows XP machine hardware will not support Windows 8 or Windows 10 - time to purchase a new machine.
I keep reading this but I still occasionally get automatic security updates on mine. A message saying updates will be installed before the machine closes down ( or something similar ) usually appears when I shut the machine down,which seems strange

Not sure if the this link applies to you, Windows Updates should no longer be received. Unless someone has made a modification on the operateing system. I know applications such as Chrome are no longer being updated if they are installed in Windows XP. My recommendation would be to upgrade via a clean install. I have seen too many problems when upgrading the OS via the built in migration process.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/27/microsoft-windows-xp-security-hack-update

Sponsored Links
Back