windows 98 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my pc,when I try to start up windows, it goes to the first windows screen for a few seconds as usual and then it goes back to the black screen with the usual text but it stops with this bit of text and the flashing cursor, C:\> I don't know how to take it any further than this,does anyone know what it means or how I can solve it? I have tried booting from the start up floppy and cd rom and running set up but when it comes to copying files it gives an application error which says, call to undefined dynalink. Anyone know what this might mean? I dont know if this has any bearing on this but not long before this problem I installed some extra memory,I put in an extra 256 in with an existing 256. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I am running windows 98se by the way. Chris.

Sponsored Links
no i tried taking the memory out but its exactly the same problem-tried what the earlier poster suggested from the microsoft site but it just says file not found.

Sponsored Links
Also have you installed or removed any software recently ? this problem seems to be related to missing or wrong versions of DLL's....in basic terms these are files used by programs, they have the .DLL extension.

Sorry for the delay guys,got the problem sorted finally with some of your advice and some from the microsoft site.In the end installing an old registry semed to let me get back into windows and once that was done I installed XP over the top of 98 and that seems to work ok,only now I seem to have a problem with aol,I uninstalled it when I was trying to solve the previous problem and after reinstalling it,it wont complete the installation,it say's re-boot to finish copying files but it doesn't copy any files and i've reinstalledit 2 or 3 times now so I dont know if there is some kind of conflict with XP and aol. Oh well,I'l keep trying and I'l get there in the end I suppose. Thanks for all who helped.

Back