Windows in a log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most people don't know that log cabins 'breath' and can vary in height a non-trivial amount over the year. This makes fitting windows difficult - you cannot affix the side of the window into the ends of logs, and you have to leave an expansion gap at the top.

Our manufacturer recommends this 'fascia sandwich; approach: https://www.tuin.co.uk/blog/adding-a-window/#Final_Fitting_of_the_Generic_Window

We are using UPVC windows and doors so are building a wooden frame first around each window, then have the same issue to solve.
The fascia method definitely works but it is not very secure. If you remove the outer fascias, you can just push the window into the room!

I was in two minds if this is a windows or doors issue but wondered if some fitters or smart carpenter has done this before and has any thoughts on it?

There's a couple of other things it raises, let me summarise the issues:
  1. Windows/doors are not secured except by the fascias, which can just be unscrewed from the outside
  2. We worry about water getting in behind the top fascia board in driving rain and then running in/around the window frame, somewhere we cannot access.
  3. For very tall windows, or french doors, you would (I'm told) really want to attach it at the sides to keep it rigid... but we can't.
For reference, we are warned to allow for up to 40mm total change in height over a year. Not a trivial amount.

Sponsored Links
I'll say my ideas for people to critique (or demolish!)

• You can of course screw the units in at the bottom providing at least a little stability.
  • Let's picture the basic set up, and how to affix at the top to stop someone pushing the window out:
upload_2019-11-27_17-17-19.png

The window (black and grey) is mounted into a wooden frame (red) using screws and then sits in the whole in the log wall, with an expansion gap at the top.
We cannot constrain the movement.
So what if we have a kind of dowel type affair:
upload_2019-11-27_17-21-46.png

We drill holes up into the log(s) above the hole say 100mm. Then we put some sort of rod through the wooden window frame fixed in place, sticking up. Like say an M12 bolt but the hole in the log is wider than the bolt so it can't engage the thread.
We make the bolts long enough they cannot fall out of the holes, and the holes long enough the bolt will never hit the top.

• What about at the side? We can't do the same idea with the bolts but we could rout a channel down the middle of the window, and put bolts through that are held in the channel, a bit like the way your wheel holds the tyre in place:
    upload_2019-11-27_17-30-41.png
Are these sensible or stupid ideas? If not totally idiotic, how would you improve them and in particular, what fixings might I use? Are there things out there more designed for such things than "a bolt that's not as big as the hole"?!

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-27_17-20-18.png
    upload_2019-11-27_17-20-18.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 157

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back