Windows Sills + Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Newbie to DIY so looking for your thoughts on the following aspect.
Move into a flat last year - East Sussex - seaside town - 15 min walking distance to sea.

Windows sills / Frame as you can see on the picture need some love and nurturing.

These are aluminium windows - which I guess could be replace but initially looking to maintained the sills in first instance.

First question:
Is that something I can sort out myself easily? or should I get someone to do it for me?
Secondly, if doing it myself, what would be the step by steps, tips, and thought to do it the best way.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Not an expert Jeremy, but best case i would say strip back as much as poss to wood all round, sand and fill any gaps. treat with good quality primer and then paint. ensure you seal sides with window sealant. Remember water is your enemy and it WILL get in if theres the minutest chance.
Worst case some parts rotten, probably bottom windowseal and would need replacing. As you are a self confessed novice I would strongly recomend calling in an expert, or at least a competent friend.
Another option if rotten would be to use a wood hardener treatment?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet-Rot-Wood-Hardener-500ml/p/600075
This works well, although not the ideal long term solution, you would still need to take out any crumbling wood that is too far gone so would mean filling holesTo match profile.

Many thanks for your reply.
When you mentioned good quality primer and paint - Would the house brand from B&Q or Homebase would be fine? or would you recommend something more professional?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Paint rules tends to be you get what you pay for. I've never tried B&Q's own brand, but my mates have with poor results and have read enough reviews a few years ago to put me off ever trying. It seems to me silly to do all that prep and hard work just to put poor quality paint on. It doesn't often pay to cut corners.

Sponsored Links
As you live near the sea it is especially important to invest in good quality materials if you want the paint to last several years.

Either go for the Dulux Weathershield oilbased system, or Little Greene Traditional Oil paint. Both need an oilbased undercoat.

As with all decorating, the prep is crucial for a good result.

Many thanks all for your advise.

I have look on B and Q website and could not find what you mentioned so have emailed them.

Regarding your paint project and search for Dulux oil-based Paints, I have to advise you that we stock a limited quantity of oil based paints but only in the Fortress ranges. They are available in white and grey undercoats and the gloss paints are available in white and /or black only.

You mentioned Oil based paint, is that better than water based that B and Q stock for Dulux brand?

Where could I get :
Dulux Weathershield oilbased system or Little Greene Traditional Oil paint.
and an oilbased undercoat.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back