Windows sizing to fit openings

As the window frame is completely sealed both on the outer and inner skin (if fitted correctly), why are we closing the cavity with extra materials? Isn't the window frame good enough?

Sponsored Links
As the window frame is completely sealed both on the outer and inner skin (if fitted correctly), why are we closing the cavity with extra materials? Isn't the window frame good enough?

A window frame is not that deep, as to do that. Normally a window frame is about the depth of a single brick (or even a bit less), so the frame sits slightly back from the brickwork face, with a sill added at the base.

The window frame isn’t as wide as the cavity.

I measured 1 window exactly and it didn’t fit. Best thing was we posted it out through the upstairs opening to pull it back into the opening.

I had the get the missus and kids to hold it while I backed the van upto the house, then I trimmed the fins off the sides to make it fit.

F661C218-EBA8-4758-9145-259913F3942B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The cavity will show on the internal reveal.

The cavity closure has a ribbed plastic face to allow plaster to stick -although we always fit plasterboard on the reveals, as it seems easier.

also the cavity closure acts as a damp proof layer to make sure no plaster can touch the external skin.

The window frame isn’t as wide as the cavity.

I measured 1 window exactly and it didn’t fit. Best thing was we posted it out through the upstairs opening to pull it back into the opening.

I had the get the missus and kids to hold it while I backed the van upto the house, then I trimmed the fins off the sides to make it fit.

View attachment 159487
Jeez, you have nosey neighbours.

I rent a room to 34 illegals

I fitted our DG 30 years ago myself, with some help. When they all needed replacing around 5 years ago, I looked at doing them myself, but pricing supply on up versus supply and fitting, it seemed not worth while.

I fitted our DG 30 years ago myself, with some help. When they all needed replacing around 5 years ago, I looked at doing them myself, but pricing supply on up versus supply and fitting, it seemed not worth while.

I’ve just done that with my porch, I priced it DIY at £2150 but hoped I could get someone to do it for similar, with them getting the door and windows cheaper. I got quoted £2850.

30 years ago we were all a lot younger,fitter but poorer, its nice when you get to the stage where you just can hand over the money and get the job sorted in a few days

PVC in direct sunlight will want to expand a fair bit so I wouldn't try fitting them to tight, especially if you are fitting them in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back