windows sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just moved into a new flat and have had some probs with the windows. A few were blown, one handle didn't work and two of them stick on the latch plate when opening/closing. I got a guy in to sort it all out, and he did so, except for the sticking problem. He told me that it was a common problem with that type of window (quite large and hinged at the top). He said that the sheer weight of the glass causes the frame to bow, and that nothing can be done.
However, on closer inspection, I find that the worst window sticks only on one side and, after taking off the latch plate, it doesn't stick at all.
Is it possible to source a latch plate with a lower profile or, failing that would it be OK to grind about an eighth of an inch off the bottom of it?
Thanks in advance.
upload_2019-8-20_18-29-57.png

Sponsored Links
Yes. there is evidence of a condensation problem. is it relevant to the sticking problem?

Its relevant to a rusty frame keep, these things are zinc plated, how the hell did it ever go that rusty?

If you open the window right out and look at the hinges, the half that is screwed to the opener not the frame, you should see 3 maybe 4 screws, one of the holes will be round, the rest elongated, with the screw out the round hole removed try pushing the opener up, may need a second person, it'll only need to go up a couple of mm, now put the screw back in preferably biting into fresh plastic not the same hole

Sponsored Links
how the hell did it ever go that rusty?
I was told that the previous occupants (it was tenanted) never opened the windows, hence the condensation. Are those frame keeps easy to source? I can't find them on ebay.
with the screw out the round hole removed try pushing the opener up
Thanks for that tip. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back. It would seem strange that the three window guys I had round to quote didn't mention it though. The guy who did the job did replace one hinge, but that was on a non-sticking window.

Search then for pvc window espag keeps or strikers, you should get some results then. However the keeps are frame specific and the underside matches the contours of the pvc frame.....the 'profile' as we call it in the trade, without knowing which make of profile you have then its just as best to buy some universal ones

Sorted. Had to drill mew fixing holes in the UPVC but the 8cm keep seems to have solved the sticking prob. Have already ordered another for the kitchen window.
Thanks for your help Crank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back