Windows that dont fit or do they

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all you people, I have just had some double glazing done on our house it was two 5 pane bay windows. when the fitter was putting them in I came back from work to notice there was a gap on both ends i.e. left and right of at least 40mm,he then filled it with foam well partly and then stuck a length of trim over it, I moaned that the gap had not been filled proper so he took it back off and this bloke gave me a load of bull s**t about it don’t need filling as it would be sealed on both sides, anyway he took it off and put some foam in it to make me happy he left the other end for the next day Wednesday . when some new bloke came with him to have a look who then left soon after, I think he came to check if the gap was expectable when they put the downstairs bay in it fitted ok I then asked why there was such a big gap in the upstairs one he gave me more bulls**t about what the frame could sit on so what I want to know what’s an exceptable gap it looks ok from inside and out has it is covered by trim should I get them back

Sponsored Links
I'd say yes, as you say b*lls**t, if you or the wind slam your opening lights a few times how long is a piece of injected foam (remember Crunchie bars ??) going to hold fast ?
We got the same with our two week old french doors, top left corner now creeping out, I won't name the midlands based company unless anyone is interested :cry:

Yes i would like to know just in case its the same one

Sponsored Links
an acceptable gap for wooden windows would be 10 mm either side, as this gives sufficient space for the frames to be properly wedged and plugged into the wall.

if the gap is bigger you run the risk of deforming the frame when fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back