windows virtual memory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had my pc for 2 1/2 years, windows xp home edition, but recently I keep getting an alert, after Ive been on ebay or similar for a couple of hours, telling me that my virtual memory is running low and that windows will increase its size. Whats this all about!!! Your help would be appreciated as I aint got a clue whats going on. :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a popup.

Does the the cursor change into the hand icon when you hover over it? If so, search the forum for "spyware". If not, can you post a screen shot?

Igorian said:
Sounds like a popup.

Does the the cursor change into the hand icon when you hover over it? If so, search the forum for "spyware". If not, can you post a screen shot?

Thanks for your response Igorian, but I dont think its spyware. Ive got spybot and adaware, both updated versions, and they come up clean. When the low memory warning comes up it say's " for further information look in help". I cant say wether the cursor changes to a hand or not but I will take note next time. Can you tell me how to take a screen shot so that I can post it.
cheers :confused:

Ok, i've never seen this message, but having searched about I came up with this. Let me know if it helps.

Sponsored Links
This link looks really promising. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on with it.

Not attacking the cause, but I wonder what effect a memory defragger would have? As opposed to shut down and reboot.
:D

Igorian said:
Ok, i've never seen this message, but having searched about I came up with this. Let me know if it helps.

Your link was really useful in helping me solve my problem. I followed all the instructions and every thing appeared to be ok.
I realised that my virtual memory problem only arose when using ebay. I also noticed that ebay got progressively slower to respond the longer i was using it in any one session. I down loaded the ebay toolbar a few weeks ago for security reasons and this is where I believe my problem lies.
I opened windows task manager and went to processes. I then logged on ebay and proceeded to do some searches and look at several items. Whilst doing this I kept clicking on the task manager and with every item I looked at the iexplore.exe mem usage would increase approx by 4000k and the virtual memory likewise. My next step was to delete the ebay toolbar. I then monitored the situation again and could not believe the difference, there was at least a 75% reduction in iexplore mem and virtual mem usage.
I hope you can make sense of this.

pipme said:
Not attacking the cause, but I wonder what effect a memory defragger would have? As opposed to shut down and reboot.
:D
Ive done memory defrag, emptied cache etc etc and they made no difference, but hopefully Ive solved my problem. The only issue now is , has anyone else had a similar problem with the down-loaded ebay toolbar.

You could try re-installing it to eliminate the possibility of a glitch. If it happens again, I would report it to the Ebay Admins.

I guess you have all service packs installed?

Yes, I have all the service packs. I'll try to re-install and see what happens and like you say if there is a problem I will report it.
Anyway, this must be a new one for your files :LOL: .
Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Back