Windows Vista

Hi McMarshon.
Any chance you could write down the blue screen stop numbers? Normally a BSOD has a stop number or many? Something like 00000000X07 or whatever.
If you jot them down and tell us what they are we can then let you know if it's a hardware problem. Sometimes it can be a simple as a faulty stick of RAM.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
I didnt get the advanced options on the recovery :cry:

I will try to get the error code but I'm pretty sure hardware is ok as I can keep it running in safe mode.

Will update later !

I thought you said safe mode didn't work.

The way my recovery mode in vista worked was you selected the language and type in you accounts password and you get to the screen I posted above.

@madder

I think this covers it:

File: \windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

:oops: Missed that error code earlier, sorry. McMarshon, have a look at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316751

and also this one:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/73190-cannot-start-my-computer-status-0xc0000001-2.html

Apparently, resetting the motherboard will also solve the problem. I suppose this is a last resort especially if you are reinstalling windows. You can do this by unplugging your computer, opening it up and finding the motherboard jumpers. Lift up the 2 sleeves attached to 2 of the 3 pins, remove the sleeves and attach them to the alternative 2 of the 3 sleeves. Leave for approx. 1 minute and then put them back onto the pins they were origianlly on. This should reset the motherboard.
If there are no sleeves and pins or if this sounds too complicated you can try removing the CMOS battery for approx 1 minute as this is said to have the same reaction.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Loks like it was a hardware fault after all. Tried replacing the memory and now computer is booting up ok.

Still having one or two problems tho, cant seem to delete files on the hdd. several programs hand, uninstall doesnt seem to remove any programs....blumin microsoft. Maybe thinking of installing Linux :confused:

Thanks to the chaps who have posted on here to help !

Ok a couple of questions:

How good are you with computers?
Did you back up the data on the computer?
You say that none of the options work, can you list the options available?

not too bad ! I once did MCSE and qualified ! but that was before I started fixing boilers.

Data is not saved but that is her last concern at the mo.

I seem to get the repair options up intermittently but from memory I have had :-

Start normally
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Another time I got a screen with others - cant really remember what they said tho, there was quite a few and cant really remember how I got that screen up.

I just have to nip out now to fix an old ladies boiler ! Will have a look on here when I get back but it wont be until quite late.

Thanks for your help btw !

No you didn't.

Sponsored Links
Back