Windows wont detect any usb devices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have a dell dimension 9200 with windows xp media edtion 2005 installed.

I havent used this computer for about a year now but bought it about 3 years ago.

When I boot into windows my usb keyboard and mouse are not detected in any usb port.

However before windows boots the devices work for me to enter setup and boot order etc.

Once windows has loaded no usb device works and is not detected at all by windows, there isnt even an error message by windows.

Im at a total loss as what it can be, any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I cant do anything once windows has loaded as I have no type of interaction with the os. No usb device works, there are no ps2 input options only usb.

Whilst booting the bios, try hitting the f11 key.

This usually puts into restore mode on Dells, although they don't seem to publicise it much

Sponsored Links
I reinstalled windows the first day i got the computer so ive lost the image restore features, plus I have about 100gb of data i dont wana lose.

Im thinking my only option is to buy another hard drive install windows then copy all of the information from the drives over.

Unless anyone else can think of a reason why windows doesnt recognise the usb ports

My Dell(s) have had the restore partition - from there you get system 'as shipped'.
Included ... Windows (xp pro) cd - installs Win Xp pro.
Several Driver cds to install specific drivers - result 'as shipped'

Any thoughts on a 'repair install'?
This is for XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--

There is obviously some kind of corruption within the USB drivers in Windows, however because you can't interact with windows you can't remove them for it to re-detect them. I see 2 options. Get hold of a PCI usb card. Windows should detect the new card and hopefully install the ports. (Stuffed if in needs drivers installing) The other option is to try the repair install as already mentioned.

USB devices stop working in Windows XP Media Center Edition

[url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890546/en-us]M$[/url] said:
USB devices stop working in Windows XP Media Center Edition
And little more than that actually.

Hotfix Request... ??

I guess it is worth asking :-

Legacy USB set ON in Bios? (it should be afaik)

Have you tried safe mode?

--

Sponsored Links
Back