windows xp crashes whilst loading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my knowledge of computers is slim so i apologise if i come across a bit daft!! basically my pc crashes when it is loading xp, the screen with windows and the 'bar' withe 3 blue dots just freezes. the last thing i did was download internet explorer8 and play with powerdvd. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Try booting into Safe Mode.
When you turn your pc on or reboot, hit F8 a few times until it display a dos page with boot up options.. Choose Safe Mode. This will attempt to boot up windows without unnecessary drivers. If it successfully boots then you know you have a possibly issue with maybe a recently installed app, like oooh i dunno....IE8 or Powerdvd? :cool:
if so, uninstall and see what happens.
Maybe even run a deep scan with whatever AV and AS you have installed while you're at it.

If it still won't boot, you could try fixing the MBR (requires os disk and a lttle more info from us). But try Safe Mode first then come back to us.
Good luck! :)

Unlikely to be a MBR issue as it's trying to boot into windows but failing, so the MBR is pointing to the right place.

Quite right, yes, sorry i got caught in between answering 2 similar issues. The other one was where he wasn't getting past dos.

My bad, thanks for correcting me and not sending the OP on a wild goose chase :)

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to boot into safe mode if you can then check the system logs for errors and attempt to rectify them before rebooting. If possible do a system restore from prior to IE8/PowerDVD

Alternatively try the F8 and load last known good configuration...it does sometimes work.

HTH

thanks guys!! i ended up losing my rag with it and took it to an "expert"! he says it was something to do with USB drive, he replaced it for me and it has been fine for over a fortnight!! he had it a week but only charged me a tenner!! quite pleased with the result!!
just thought i would let you know the result!! thanks again

Back