Windows XP startup problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I start Windows XP pro only half of the programs start in the bottom right hand side menu by the clock. Assuming it is one program causing the problem is there any way of finding one is causing the problem? If I log off and back on again they all start OK.

Sponsored Links
Open the event viewer and check the logs for any errors occuring at the time the system starts up.

Also look at Task manager to see if any processes are using large amounts of CPU or memory.

Cheers, will try tomorrow morning. How do you open event viewer?

Sponsored Links
I think the threat of fixing it has made the problem go away :LOL:
Hasn't done it since. I can't get task manager to open whilst the system is booting though. The only error in event viewer when I booted it up today is in security, DCOM. Is this a problem or just leave well alone?

Spark123 said:
I think the threat of fixing it has made the problem go away :LOL:
Hasn't done it since. I can't get task manager to open whilst the system is booting though. The only error in event viewer when I booted it up today is in security, DCOM. Is this a problem or just leave well alone?

Probably not, but that would depend on the applications you use. Can you post the entire message from the log, or it's reference number?

dcomob3.jpg

The machine is standalone, I don't use roaming profile etc. Not sure what server it is trying to connect?
If I click the link it brings up the windows help file:

[code:1]

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 10010
Source: DCOM
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_RPCSS_SERVER_START_TIMEOUT
Message: The server %1 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Explanation
The Component Object Model (COM) infrastructure tried to start the named server; however, the server did not reply within the required timeout period. There might be a deadlock, or the program might not have responded to the server initialization code within the timeout period of two minutes.

User Action
If the problem continues to occur, contact the program vendor.

To determine the program vendor

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Using the information displayed in the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box, navigate to the program.
Right-click the program name, and then click Properties.
The Properties dialog box for the program is displayed.
To determine who the vendor is for this program, refer to the Version tab.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_RPCSS_SERVER_START_TIMEOUT
Message: The server %1 did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Explanation
The Component Object Model (COM) infrastructure tried to start the named server; however, the server did not reply within the required timeout period. There might be a deadlock, or the program might not have responded to the server initialization code within the timeout period of two minutes.

User Action
If the problem continues to occur, contact the program vendor.

To determine the program vendor

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Using the information displayed in the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box, navigate to the program.
Right-click the program name, and then click Properties.
The Properties dialog box for the program is displayed.
To determine who the vendor is for this program, refer to the Version tab.
[/code:1]
Might have a play about later tonight.
Cheers

========================

Just fired up the PC again and the event viewer is showing Kservice not started which I believe to be something to do with the BBC player. I have just uninstalled it to see if it makes a difference.

========================

Everything appears back to normal now,
Thanks
Spark123

Back