Winston1's Errors again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have also corrected your misuse of upper case letters.
As a matter of curiosity I sent this:"Ground Hog day, DIYers will often use the Term just as people call Vacuum cleaners Hoovers and Lamps Bulbs." to a professional editor for their assessment

Hi Sunray.

Without further context of the paragraphs intended usage, this is the closest edit I can offer:

Ground Hog Day, DIYers will often use the Term. Just as people call Vacuum Cleaners; Hoovers and Lamps; Bulbs.

Term could be (in)correct dependant upon the missing context.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of curiosity I sent this:"Ground Hog day, DIYers will often use the Term just as people call Vacuum cleaners Hoovers and Lamps Bulbs." to a professional editor for their assessment

Hi Sunray.

Without further context of the paragraphs intended usage, this is the closest edit I can offer:

Ground Hog Day, DIYers will often use the Term. Just as people call Vacuum Cleaners; Hoovers and Lamps; Bulbs.

Term could be (in)correct dependant upon the missing context.
Did (s)he explain why the use of upper case letters?

Did (s)he explain why the use of upper case letters?
No and it does not feel in any way appropriate to question the actions of someone who makes a living editting high class books.

So you are looking at this thread, how about an answer to this?
That one has fuses, so could be a fuse box. What do you think?
I think fuse box would be totally appropriate, in that case how about this one?:
upload_2021-3-6_13-0-53.png

Sponsored Links
At what point in time did fuse boxes stop having switches permitted?

a different question "When Consumer Units became common, what differentiated them from Fuseboxes?"

The answer is "A Consumer Unit includes a Main Switch, a Fusebox doesn't"

We are going back a very long time now. You are very unikely to find a domestic fusebox less than 60 years old, or a consumer unit more than 120.

See if you can find a copy of BS 1454:1948 Consumers electricity control units https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail?pid=000000000030307074

You might prefer the description "a particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for use."

I would have said 'depending on'. It's not really an adjective in that sentence. Sort of thing Americans say.

Is he in the US? He has spelt dependent incorrectly - for the UK.
He used to work for 'Mackays of Chatham' as a proof reader until they had a big shake up mid 70's then went to work for 'Dent' who were, I believe, absorbed by German company early 90's.

Mirriam-Webster says this: The difference between dependent and dependant is merely a matter of preferred spelling. "Dependent" is the dominant form in American English for both the noun and adjective, while in British English, "dependant" is more common for the noun. "Dependent" is still used to indicate the adjective form in British English but its use in this form is uncommon. There is more which adds a little vagueness into the mix but mostly the origins and history.

MS Word set for English UK. doesn't highlight it as incorrect with either spelling.

Lexico shows:
Usage
Until recently the only correct spelling of the noun in British English was dependant, as in a single man with no dependants. However, the variant dependent is now standard, and indeed it is now as common as dependant in the Oxford English Corpus. In US English dependent is the standard form for the noun. The adjective is spelled -ent, not -ant, as in we are dependent on his goodwill.

COD shows: "dependant n. (US. dependent)" or "dependent adj. & n."

So my summary is I've not found anything sofar where dependant is used in the US., I've only found it used in UK as the original spelling and gradually morphing into dependent for everything.

However, I confess, I'd spell it dependant but then I still use botch.

a different question "When Consumer Units became common, what differentiated them from Fuseboxes?"

The answer is "A Consumer Unit includes a Main Switch, a Fusebox doesn't"

We are going back a very long time now. You are very unikely to find a domestic fusebox less than 60 years old, or a consumer unit more than 120.

See if you can find a copy of BS 1454:1948 Consumers electricity control units https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail?pid=000000000030307074

You might prefer the description "a particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for use."
So what would you call this:
mem_4way_fuseswitch_metal_complete_T.jpg
or this
mem_fusebox_4way_metal_enclosed_T.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back