Winston1's Errors again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please leave Winston alone. He is merely carrying out his duties as required as an employee of the Ministry of Truth.

Sponsored Links
Please leave Winston alone. He is merely carrying out his duties as required as an employee of the Ministry of Truth.
Welcome back Winston.
Ah well therein lies a massive problem, doesn't one have to tell the truth to work there?

Last edited:
Welcome back Winston.
Ah well therein lies a massive problem, doesn't one have ot tell the truth to work there?

The Ministry of Truth is the Ministry of propaganda. It is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. I decide what "truth" is.

The Ministry of Truth is the Ministry of propaganda. It is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. We decide what "truth" is.
Well yes we are are fully aware of the "My mate says" crap spouted by that department.

Sponsored Links
Are we saying then, that, for example, a 50 year old Wylex 'consumer unit' with rewirable fuses is NOT a fuse box?

So the 'consumer' pre-fix refers chiefly to main switch, which of course the consumer/customer/householder would use to turn off the power for safe isolation and before replacing a fuse.

That would make sense I suppose.

One of those things I've never really thought about too often, at least not in recent years.

Are we saying then, that, for example, a 50 year old Wylex 'consumer unit' with rewirable fuses is NOT a fuse box?

So the 'consumer' pre-fix refers chiefly to main switch, which of course the consumer/customer/householder would use to turn off the power for safe isolation and before replacing a fuse.

That would make sense I suppose.

One of those things I've never really thought about too often, at least not in recent years.
Well this is really about Winstons pedantic insistance on criticising people coming on this site not knowing that a box containing fuses is in fact not a fuse box despite the term being in popular use for many decades.
He has already conceeded a picture in another thread containing only main switch and fuses could in fact be described as a fuse box but now despite asking him in two places what an almost identical unit is to be called, albeit containing fuses and MCB's, he has once again gone very quiet when he realises he doesn't actually know the answer.

I have now asked what another box is to be labelled and received one answer but that also went very quiet when the realisation the unit was not what it seemed.

Well this is really about Winstons pedantic insistance on criticising people coming on this site not knowing that a box containing fuses is in fact not a fuse box despite the term being in popular use for many decades.
He has already conceeded a picture in another thread containing only main switch and fuses could in fact be described as a fuse box but now despite asking him in two places what an almost identical unit is to be called, albeit containing fuses and MCB's, he has once again gone very quiet when he realises he doesn't actually know the answer.

I have now asked what another box is to be labelled and received one answer but that also went very quiet when the realisation the unit was not what it seemed.

I'm all for calling things by their correct name, but even now I will frequently a consumer unit (even a brand new one) a fuse box sometimes.

Despicable really.

Sometimes a consumer unit sounds too formal, but more importantly it's about getting the general public to know what you're talking about. If you say fusebox, they NEARLY always know what you mean (even if they can't remember where it is situated).

Does that apply to MEM as well?
Well, JohnD himself posted the BS7671 definition of a CU - so, if the question is about "A Consumer Unit as defined in BS7671", then all of us who can read can more-or-less determine whether any particular 'assemply' (for MEM or any other make) qualifies as such a 'Consumer Unit' - the only slight 'unknown may be whether or not it wais 'type tested', but if it contains only manufacturer-recommended devices then I think one can be pretty certain that it is. To remind you what John posted:
BS7671 said:
"a particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for use."

Kind Regards, John

I'm all for calling things by their correct name, but even now I will frequently a consumer unit (even a brand new one) a fuse box sometimes. Despicable really.
Indeed :).

The equally 'despicable' thing that many/most electricians (and others) probably do is to continue to call it a 'Consumer Unit' when (as is pretty common) it is quite clear from the (mixture of) devices it contains that it is no longer a 'type tested' unit, and therefore no longer qualifies as a Consumer Unit per BS7671 definition
Sometimes a consumer unit sounds too formal, but more importantly it's about getting the general public to know what you're talking about. If you say fusebox, they NEARLY always know what you mean (even if they can't remember where it is situated).
Quite so. Whenever we have discussions/debates/arguments about 'correct terminology' the point I often make is that by far the most important thing is that the words/language used result in clear and unambiguous communication (with whoever is being communicated with) regardless of considerations of 'correctness' of the terminology.

Kind Regards, John

I do feel that people asking questions but using the "wrong" name for an item should be given the correct name for the item.

But it should be done politely and not in the off hand and sometimes disrespectful way that Winston1 ( and some others ) do.

I do feel that people asking questions but using the "wrong" name for an item should be given the correct name for the item. .... But it should be done politely and not in the off hand and sometimes disrespectful way that Winston1 ( and some others ) do.
I largely agree - but I think that, where appropriate, when (politely) conveying that information, one should use wording such as "strictly speaking, the correct term that electricians would use for that is XYZ".

I don't think we would do the public any service by giving them the idea ( 'teaching' them) that, for example, if they require a 'mains' lamp/bulb, they should ask in the shop for a 'low voltage' one - since I know very many shops where that would slow down the transaction if not lead to the person leaving the shop with the wrong product!

As I've recently written, it is (or should be) all about 'clear and unambiguous communication' (with the people being communicated with) rather than just 'technical correctness'.

Kind Regards, John

Oh no that's not a consumer unit, it's a distribution board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back