Wire Check please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm finishing off the last few switch conversions to home automation and with all the confidence of having done the other 10+ switches, I forgot to take a picture of how the kitchen switches were prior to taking apart.

What I am left with currently is everything works in the kitchen but one wire has been left out (a light brown)
The problem? Cloakroom, understairs and living room lights do not work however the hallway does as does all of upstairs. I'm guessing the light brown is the cause of this.

I put this with what is now in the L connector for the home automation module and this fixed the issue but I wanted to check whether this was ok?

The annoying thing is, I know there is a name for this wire that connects to the next switch which then connects to the next but can't for the life of me remember

Thanks all!

PS: it's a 1 year old new build if that matters with wire colour
Most of the wires to the switch were light brown with one dark brown (this is the Live(L) in the module now) and then the neutral going into a clamp and green/yellow earth

Sponsored Links
I didn't think that was the name for that specific wire - I'm sure the electrician who had done the first module to show me how to do it called it something else - the "Live" is already in the Live port and it works fine but this is the wire that has stopped the other lights working downstairs unless plugged in with the live

Sponsored Links
Hmm neither seem to come up with any info but thanks for both replies
In any case, can I assume this live loop onward wire with the live wire is ok? It all works, just wanted to check it was safe/ok to do so

Looking at http://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_loop_at_switch.cs4
It's basically answering it I think -
My brown "IN" cable is what is now in the Live port of the module
the brown cable that goes to the light also goes into the module in a different port
and this loop wire must be the brown cable that goes OUT to the next light and that is what my assumption is goes with the IN brown cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back