Wire inline fan to 1 way wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
This is probably a silly question and will have already been answered I expect, but I can't find that answer and its probably down to my incorrect use of terminology so I apologise!

I need to fit an inline fan in my workshop, it won't be connected to a light, I just need to be able to turn it on or off. It comes with 3 core cable with requires a plug, and I have a 2 gang box on the wall. Rather than fit a UK plug, my question is - can I replace the wall box with a switch and wire the 3 core cable directly to it, allowing my fan to be turned on or off with a simple wall switch? Similar to an oven I suppose.

Sponsored Links
With the appropriate overload yes, we call it a switched fuse connection unit (SFCU) and it is same as using a plug and socket, but since same physical size as plug and socket, no real advantage unless wanting to ensure not unplugged, the extractor fan where I worked was connected to an overload and current sensing switch, which in turn connected to the main machines so if the fan failed the plant would auto close down, as the fumes could be explosive, clearly we wanted no way any worker could override that protection. So no plugs and sockets. But in the main no real advantage.

Hi ericmark, its a good point and I should just use the plug and wall socket, I was just over complicating things :D but thanks for the info and I now know about SFCUs so thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back