Replace timed fan for inline fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my bathroom wall mounted fan for an inline light fan. Light ok, but when removing old fan I was greeted with the following wires. Supply in Yellow, Blue, Red. Connected to fan Red, Blue, Brown. The new inline fan only has a twin terminal block, Im guessing Live and Nuetral ?
Can some please sugest what goes where and what doesn't please.
PS
Old fan is currently wired into a light / fan wall switch and this is to remain in use if possible.
Thanks
Jon B

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Please note that I am replacing the fan not having 2 fans. I want to use the existing wiring for the 2 terminal inline fan if possible

where is the fan wall switch? outside of the bathroom?
i assume your new fan is 240/230 v, and without a timer this time. ideally you need to operate the new fan on a separate switch from the light i imagine.
the yellow is usually the switched live (live when light is turned on) so you won't be using that.
red should be live. blue should be neutral.
the best way is to run this cable to a new pull switch position. either disconnect the yellow or fit a terminal block on the end of it.
from the switch run a 2 core and earth cable to the new fan. live and neutral.
use a 20 a double pole pull switch.

Sponsored Links
It is not a good idea to have two extracts in the same room as they will sucking against each other.

What?! There's no problem having two or more extractor fans in a single room, it's more or less the same thing as having one much larger extractor fan. In fact, if anything, it's probably better having multiple fans/extract points if you need to ventilate a large room, rather than trying to pull all the moisture into one point in the room and out through a single vent.

What wouldn't be a good idea is to have a large amount of extraction and no way for air to enter the room to replenish that which you're extracting, but if that were the case, it wouldn't matter whether you have one fan or ten.

You could take the fan back and get one with a run on timer. The connections will then be the same and operation would be the same.

If the yellow is the swicth live, then could I keep that connected and use the blue ( neutral) and disconnect the red ( permanant live) ? Complete re wire not my first choice as this is quite involving.

If the yellow is the swicth live, then could I keep that connected and use the blue ( neutral) and disconnect the red ( permanant live) ? Complete re wire not my first choice as this is quite involving.

Assuming you have correct identification of conductors, yes.

Be sure to isolate the permanent live safely.

This morning I looked at it again with fresh eyes. At the top of the wall was an isolation switch. This I think was the supply for the permanent live, and thus was removed. Using the remaining blue ( Neutral ) Yellow (S-Live) I connected to the new fan. I works real good but a little quite. Need to make sure it is turned off after use or it will be left running :)

Anyway Guy's I would like to thank you for your support. Wish I had done electrics as a kid cos i love it. PS Anyone want a 45 Yr old apprentice in Essex please apply.
Thanks
Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back