Wire type for LED tape calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to check my logic here.

I've got some LED strips I'm fitting. Max pull is at 48W at 5V, so requires 10A. I've got a Meanwell 200W 5V 40A PSU, so plenty.

The LEDs though require power at both ends as they're addressable, so 5A to each end.

So using this site, I'll probably have about a 7 meter run to the end, and a 3 meter run to the start.

By my calculation, with 10% voltage drop, I need a 2.5mm2 wire for the end, however obviously that's not something I can solder to an led strip.

Can I connect this 2.5mm2 wire to a 0.5mm2 wire that's about 10cm long and wire that to an LED?

In my head, it seems wrong, but it's a short 10cm 5a run, and according to that site, that's what you'd use?

Sponsored Links
It feeding from both ends is to share the load, then cable to both ends needs to be same resistance, so cable to 7 meter end needs to be under half the resistance.

To comply with bathroom rules some lights need to be 12 volt or less, and a battery powered unit is going to have to match the battery.

But 10 amp at 5 volt why? I have 22 watt at 12 volt, reason is came as a kit. But they are mainly for decoration, nice to have counter lights, but don't need them.

For decoration being a bit dim does not really matter, LED will normally work down to 3 volt, so why worry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back