wire up dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
Went to wire up dimmer switch and found that the switch has 3 connections named LOAD,SLAVE, LIVE
how do I wire this up going to switch is brown power,be neutral and also
earth and from switch to light is brown and blue.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be live and neutral at the switch however it is possible ;)
Can you tell us exactly what you have there? Are there two blues connected together in a terminal block?
Can you upload a piccy? Sounds like you have a varilight type dimmer.

Thanks for quick response.I am fitting a wall light and intending to plug this into plug socket.So wiring is plug socket to dimmer to light.
Got the dimmer switch out of clearance bucket with no wiring diagram.
Think slave would take both neutral wires(common) and LIVE is
powr in and LOAD is power out??

No - the neutrals don't connect into the switch. Slave means slave switch i.e. so you can have a second switch controlling the same light.
I'm not sure that this is the right thing to install in a flex, it sounds to me like it is meant for fixed wiring. The live is for the live power in and the load connects to the switch live which goes to the light.
Like I said though I'm not sure this is the right thing to connect into a flex - can you upload a piccy?

Sponsored Links
Think it would work if I bypassed switch and linked neutrals.Used LIVE in and LOAD out to light but unsure if this is good practice as I you say this switch is designed for hard wire into lighting circuit Have up loaded switch
picture

Yes - it is designed for use on fixed wiring so is not suitable for use on flex unless you can source a proper back box and some cable glands. Even then it will be a bit bulky.

Think it would work if I bypassed switch and linked neutrals.Used LIVE in and LOAD out to light but unsure if this is good practice
It's the way you'd have to do it if you were installing the switch as expected, and your lighting circuit looped at the switches....

I think that before you start buying things in bargain bins you should spend a bit of time learning the basics of house wiring systems, particularly lighting circuits...

Wired dimmer switch up and worked ok.Used flex cable and plugged it into mains socket.Job done... wall light to dimmer switch (using back box fitted into partition wall,then plug fitted to flex cable and feed throo to mains socket located behind a cupboard which is rarely used.
Dimmer switch watt rating 40w to 400w.
Thanks for all and Happy New Year when it comes.

wall light to dimmer switch (using back box fitted into partition wall,then plug fitted to flex cable and feed throo to mains socket located behind a cupboard which is rarely used.
vomit-smiley-003.gif
vomit-smiley-003.gif
vomit-smiley-003.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back