wire wool left on real oak worktop for days! Bad stain help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My friend is renovating her house, the plumber left a piece of wire wool on the oak work top and due to holidays my friend didn't find it till 2 weeks later, it has left a deep black mark and I have tried to sand but it is having little effect. The wool was rusty so I can only assume it was wet when it was left there. I wonder if there is any way to get it out other than to sand it down. I wondered if I could put some thing on it to draw it out and then sand it? Any advice would be welcomed. :(

Thanks pic below

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Oak reacts with iron content, try a little Oxalic acid to remove.

Thanks foxhole at least you didn't say don't do it again! I have ordered some wood bleacher so fongers crossed, I will update when I have tried it.

Thanks again

It's oxcalic acid you need, not wood bleach. The oxcalic reacts with the iron in the wood, the bleach will actually colour the oak (lighter)

If you cannot get the acid (readily available on the internet) boil up some rhubarb leaves and reduce the liquor to a concentrate

A sharp cabinet scraper would be my first attempt as the oxidation seldom goes deep in such a short time, in my experience.
As for the Liberon - give it a try, if it doesn't work it certainly won't make it worse...pinenot :)

I know this is stating the obvious, but shouldn't the plumber fix this?
If I had to do it I'd probably go for the cabinet scraper as pinenot suggested.

I agree. It will never look right, whatever you do, the most I think you can hope for is to lighten it a bit. I would be getting the plumber to pay for a replacement.

I was thinking that he is liable for the damage and should pay. But, if it can be easily fixed. It might be sensible to keep the photos as evidence, then contact him, and see what he says.

I was thinking that he is liable for the damage and should pay. But, if it can be easily fixed. It might be sensible to keep the photos as evidence, then contact him, and see what he says.

I think I'd at least let him know what had happened as you say. I wouldn't want a plumber fixing the finish on my worktop himself though (With all due respect to all the plumbers who know what they're doing with wood)

If it's not repairable then someone has to pay for it.

On a side note I thought that strictly speaking the advice was against using wire wool on soldered joints in copper pipe these days (presumably that's what the wool was for) as the particles can contaminate the joint leading to problems later on. Similar advice has been given for some time concerning the oiling of oak. The particles can cause problems if the surface gets wet. "Scotchbrite" or similar is the answer.

The plumber doesn't actually know! He was doing me a favour so nothing to gain and wasn't on purpose the problem was the time it took to spot it!

The acid is on its way, my only concern with the cabinet scraper is that the stain looks deep so scraping it out will likely leave a groove? I have sanded it with grade 60 for now to rid of any oil that is on the area and will await the arrival of the stuff. Will keep you informed of the outcome (although I do not know how to get my pics to show?!)

I save mine to a folder on my desktop, and when replying scroll up to the top of the page where to the left and above the words Post a reply, now click this > My album page click on the current pic shown > Add new image click this > Choose file, once you've achieved this double click the file you want > upload image, this adds your pic to your album. Now back to post a reply page > Show My Images, this is your DIYnot album double click the image you want and that's it. Pretty convoluted I know but you soon get used to it...oh! there's also a draw tab in upload new images, pretty slow and clumsy in my opinion...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back