Wired a 3 gang incorrectly - check my wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I thought it would be best to explain this one with pictures mainly. Objective is to wire up 3 new LED batten lights in the garage. I bought a 3 gang 2 way metal switch to wire them all into but when I finished the job, if the fused switch in the box below the 3 gang is turned on, all the lights come on but then stay on permanently regardless of switch position.

I got confused with the wiring diagram as I don't want to do a 2 way wiring. I just want these to operate from the single 3 gang switch in the pictures only. I included a diagram as to how I think I should have done it. Is it right?

I know I'm not using the 3 gang switch in the traditional sense as per a normal cable drop from a ceiling rose for the switched live. I'm trying to simplify this by wiring the mains straight into the 3 gang. After all, it's a garage with no existing cables or roses and I only want them controlled form the one 3 gang.

Thanks

Attachments

• how_it_is.jpg
    how_it_is.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 238
  • what_i_attempted.jpg
    what_i_attempted.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 268
  • what_i_did.jpg
    what_i_did.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 307
  • what_i_think_i_should_do.jpg
    what_i_think_i_should_do.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 275
Sponsored Links
I'm curious - why didn't you do it the way you think it should be done the first time?

The last image, no neitral connected at the switch is the correct way.

Two way switches connect thier L terminal to either terminal L1 or terminal L2 depending on the position of the switch.

Sponsored Links
So is actually knowing what you are doing rather than thinking "I have no idea how a switch works but that that doesn't matter".

I was confused based on the diagram provided with the switch. It showed how to wire it up using ceiling roses and with an additional 3 gang in the loop which I obviously wasn't using. From the diagram it made it look (to me) that the (L) was only required if using an additional 3 gang elsewhere so I emitted this from use. I also did not find the L, L1 and L2 particularly intuitive as other ones use "COM" instead.

It was then that I went online and realised I had not been understanding the switch correctly. It looked from the back of the switch like the connection between L1 and L2 would be made with the switch pushed down on that end. It was this "logic" that made me think to wire it the way I originally did. I now realise the connection is between L and L1/L2.

I was fully expecting replies telling me I'm an idiot, it was dangerous to attempt it, should have got a sparky. My preference is to have a go, and resort to DIY forums if I can still function as a human after trying said DIY effort. Sometimes I spoil myself and come here for advice first before such activities. I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back