Wired Door Bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to fit a new wired door bell, don't really have the option to go wireless due to the nature of the door bell (don't want to be charging it every other month).

So I understand that its possible to wire a door bell to an existing lighting circuit, I just want clarification that I have this right.

I have

1 x 10m 1.5mm Twin and Earth.
1 x Byron Doorbell Transformer (can be wall mounted outside CU).
1 x Bell Wire
1 x Chime.

Can someone check the picture below and confirm I have this wiring in the CU right.

03TGNlK.jpg

Sponsored Links
If there are 2 neutral blocks make sure you use the correct one, i.e. the same one the lighting circuit is wired to, otherwise you will trip the RCD (if you have one).

Don't forget to connect the earth of the twin and earth. You will also need green/yellow sleeving.

Some people will say you need an isolating switch between the CU and bell transformer. An ordinary light switch on a patress will do that job.

1.5mm cable is unnecessary, 1.0mm is cheaper and saves the valuable copper.

Thanks for that. I can't remember but will check but I am pretty sure there is only one Neutral block. The other block is earth.

Again thanks for the answer.

You will also need a bell push and cable clips for the bell wire and the T&E. The mains T&E must be clamped at its entry to the transformer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, there where two neutral blocks in the CU once I checked it. So I made sure to follow the wires from the lighting to the correct neutral block and completed the rest of the wiring and it all seems to be working so I assume the wiring was correct.

Some people will say you need an isolating switch between the CU and bell transformer. An ordinary light switch on a patress will do that job.

If isolation is recomended then its likely DOUBLE POLE isolation is needed

What size are the spare mcbs rather than bunching up with the lighting circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back