Wired or wireless thermostats in each room for UFH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I will be installing UFH in the house across 3 floors, total 6 bedrooms and ground floor will have 8 zones. All the boards and walls are exposed, so I have freedom to have wired or wireless.

Should I be going for wired thermostats or wireless like the Honeywell Evo Home? Is there any advantage of going wired for thermostats? I plan to use a home automation system in the house (zwave) but not sure whether wiring will actually offer any value?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can wire it then wire it.

Wireless in the domestic market is a marketing gimmick to help sell gadgetry to be retro fitted into houses. These gadgets wouldn't sell if the buyer had to add wires around the house.

If you have more than one wireless system in the house then the chances that one system will block / corrupt message in the other system is significant.

Wired as above, and make sure the thermostats are powered from the wiring as well - a fair number of wired thermostats are inexplicably battery powered.

Was called to a £2m+ house a while back which had 18 zones across 3 floors, all of which had wall mounted wired thermostats each with 2 AA batteries inside.
Most of them were low/failed completely. Owners completely unaware that they contained batteries as the only indication was a tiny icon in one corner of the display. Thermostats had to be removed from the wall to fit new batteries.

Any links to the cable I need to order for this at the best price? I will need about 300-400m
We will have about 22 zones across three floors.

Sponsored Links
A friend has 26 zones of UFH in his house.

Seven are in the toilets.

But he has too much money to spend.

He used to lecture in HVAC if that helps to explain his choice.

well 3 zones on 6 bed house with 4 receptions rooms is not going to quite cut is it? Its not about the money its about correctly sizing the areas with the right number of thermostats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back