wired timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have bought one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...chanical+Timer+24hrs+16amp/d190/sd2660/p99432
to wire into a ceiling light instead of a switch so a light comes on at programmed times, the wiring diagram is main live in, main neutral in, Live out and neutral out.

I have fitted it where a single pole light switch was. i have used the live in and live out terminals only.

the light works but the timer does not - does anyone have any idea's why not? cheers

Sponsored Links
Single gang light switch will normally have live and switch live with a CPC to the backbox. It sounds as if you do not have a neutral at the backbox.

Sponsored Links
no neutral wire, only live red and black (without a flag, but i have since changed this) so does this mean that the timer is not any good for this purpose?, i can manually turn then dial, and the light goes on and off at the right time, but it will not turn it's self. does this mean that this timer is not any good?

cheers

Yes, it means your timer is no good for this. The one Taylortwocities linked to above is the type you need, what sort of light is it switching?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back