Wireless bell pushes for servant call box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got an old Victorian tell-tale/servant's call box (the type where some presses a button in a room and a little flag waves while a bell rings to call a servant). Connecting it up to a 6V supply it works perfectly and I can happily call servants to any room from my workbench! So, I'd like to reinstate it (not that I have any servants, but hey ...)

The problem is that all of my rooms are nicely decorated. I don't want surface mounted wire and I don't want to have to dig into the walls to hide the cable. So, what I am looking for is a wireless bell push in each room.

Obviously, the internet is full of wireless doorbells, MK's Logic Plus, TLC Direct's QinetiQ, wireless Z Wave products, ... etc. But none of these things have a bell push that looks Victorian/Edwardian. I guess I am thinking a white china button with the word "press" on it, surrounded by a dark wood or brass mounting plate.

Back at HQ, I'd then need some sort of relay that is connected to the mains (so is always on) and on receiving a bell push can switch a 6V battery feed.

Then, rinse and repeat this setup for each room I want to - ahem - summon servants to.

Does anyone know of any suitable suppliers? As I wrote, the major problem is finding a supplier of a suitably 'period style' wireless bell push.

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've got an old Victorian tell-tale/servant's call box..... . So, what I am looking for is a wireless bell push in each room. .... Obviously, the internet is full of wireless doorbells, MK's Logic Plus, TLC Direct's QinetiQ, wireless Z Wave products, ... etc. But none of these things have a bell push that looks Victorian/Edwardian. I guess I am thinking a white china button with the word "press" on it, surrounded by a dark wood or brass mounting plate. .... Does anyone know of any suitable suppliers? As I wrote, the major problem is finding a supplier of a suitably 'period style' wireless bell push.
A Google search for "Period Wireless Bell Push UK" gets an awful lot of hits, and many of the early ones seem to relate to a company called DoorbellWorld (click here) . That company offer numerous variants (appearance wise - colours, material etc.), but all are around £80 each - one example is sown below. However, I haven't looked at any of the other suppliers, so there might be much cheaper available ...

upload_2020-10-21_14-8-40.png

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,

Thank you. Yes, that's the sort of bell push look I am going for. The problem with that sort of thing, though (as you say, available by the million) is that it's a closed/unknown wireless protocol to drive the plug in doorbell.

I need the bell push to be able, ultimately, to drive a switched 6V supply to make my flags wave. It may be that I can take the plug end of the doorbell kit apart, find the wireless receiver, and rig something up. But, I was hoping there might be a "wireless period style bell push drive a wireless receiver relay" solution out of the box.

The obvious thing I've not done (but you've nudged me ...) is to write to DoorbellWorld and see if they know the answer!

Thanks

James.

p.s. I am writing this on my laptop, with no external keyboard. I don't even own an external keyboard. :)

Hi John, Thank you. Yes, that's the sort of bell push look I am going for. The problem with that sort of thing, though (as you say, available by the million) is that it's a closed/unknown wireless protocol to drive the plug in doorbell.
I need the bell push to be able, ultimately, to drive a switched 6V supply to make my flags wave. It may be that I can take the plug end of the doorbell kit apart, find the wireless receiver, and rig something up. But, I was hoping there might be a "wireless period style bell push drive a wireless receiver relay" solution out of the box.
Fair enough, but I think it might well be wishful thinking to be able to get precisely that 'off the shelf' - so I was, indeed, thinking that you would probably have to "... take the plug end of the doorbell kit apart, find the wireless receiver, and rig something up". That may well be pretty easy - I presume that all you really need to do is to find the feed to the 'bell'/sounder and somehow use that to drive a really (and silence/disconnect the actual 'bell'/sounder).
The obvious thing I've not done (but you've nudged me ...) is to write to DoorbellWorld and see if they know the answer!
That certainly can't do any harm - although, as above, I don't think you should be 'holding your breath' is the hope of finding a ready-made off-the-shelf total solution. However, you may be lucky!
p.s. I am writing this on my laptop, with no external keyboard. I don't even own an external keyboard. :)
Fair enough. You don't seem to have yet voted in the 'poll' and, if you have a moment, I'd be grateful if you could, because I'm hoping to get as many votes as possible. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I looked for exactly this last year - ideally wanting a receiver that had volt-free relay contacts for outputs. Tried alot of websites & even a few of the well known manufacturers direct including Bryon & friedland.

Drew a blank I'm afraid. I'd be interested if you have more luck..........

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back