Wireless Doorbell Push - Universal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not life threatening, but I now have three wireless doorbell chimes,,,, but the Push Buttons have all failed.

I was about to buy yet another kit, but then wondered: Is there a Universal or programmable Bell push out there ?

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all

Sponsored Links
Are they Byron? If so look in your local "shed" make sure you get the same type, i,e, SX.

Are they Byron? If so look in your local "shed" make sure you get the same type, i,e, SX.

Thanks WC:
The only Byron one that I have has the plug-in receiver on the blink. It does have a working bell-push !

The others are Homelec. I've looked on google for Homelec & dropped a line to one of 'em. I have no idea when or if they will reply.

If anyone has actual contact details of Homelec, I would appreciate that.

cheers

I use Byron and have three new buttons over the last four years. Have e-mailed Byron three times and had no reply, Good luck. Have you tried opening up the buttons and cleaning the board and battery contacts?

Sponsored Links
"Have you tried opening up the buttons and cleaning the board and battery contacts?"

I initially did that,,,, and it sometimes works - for a while. I'll probably try that again over the next couple of days whilst deciding what to do.

In this cold weather the battery may be too cold to provide enough power to the transmitter.

Quick test, remove the bell push, take it indoors and aloow it to warm up. Then test it.

If you must have wireless function then have the transmitter in the inside of the door frame and extend a pair of wires from the push button through the frame to an ordinary push outside.

Lithium batteries would be the answer as they work at much lower temperatures

BG, it would also be a good idea to use that trick on upvc frames. At the bottom of the instructions it says "do not use on upvc frames" By this time you have got home and cut open the packing.

I noted my door bell uses 70cm and the frequency they state is shared with the amateur radio so I tried to see if my radio would activate the door bell. Well it didn't at least not without sub-audible tones activated. I could just hear the door push transmitter but on a few frequencies so I would need a frequency counter to find out which was the main one.

However in view of those few experiments (It is after all why we have the licence) I would think a universal door push is unlikely.

Having said that my sisters remote car lock would ring my sons door bell but with different tune to normal so there must be some interaction.

I just got cheap wireless door bells form Lidi and have three around house so keeping two spare door pushes in case one fitted fails. Now on third set of wireless but wife will not allow me to re-connect the wired one as the plastic has gone yellow. What does she expect after 25 years?

Many of these systems use receivers that are not very selective about the frequencies they will respond to. So a nearby transmitter on a different frequency may be recieved but not responded to because the identity code would not be recognised. But if the codes match ( or in some systems almost match ) then it will respond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back