Wireless CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just looking for some basic advice please. We’ve had a few break in’s recently close to us and although it would never stop opportunists, a bit of peace of mind with some CCTV would be good for me.

I want to go wireless purely for ease of installation. I know a majority of people here will be for hard wired only but for where I would need to position these, it really would be a good deal of work.

I’ve seen advertised a blink XT camera system and an Arlo Pro 2 kit (which seems more expensive) which seem to do everything I would want and a straight forward install.

If anyone has any experience with these makes or can suggest any others which would be worth me looking at, I’d be all ears. I’m bearing in mind a bit of future proofing as well so I’d like to be able to add cameras as I got and potentially link the cameras and main house alarm should I ever wish to change this, but that’s not top of the priority list for now to be honest.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Most wireless are not "wireless" as you still need to run power cables. I was just looking at the Arlo and it says they have batteries. Where ever you position these you will need to get up and take down to recharge does that alone not make you want to go through the effort of just making wired? I don't think anyone on here who knows about CCTV will suggest wireless that alone should make you rethink your plan.

Future proofing would be run ethernet to all and get a POE system.

Not the answer you was looking for, if you was getting a one camera system to cover a front door wireless would be fine for a whole house system you are brinking on the line of crazy :cautious:

Thanks for the response. Not sure what the requirement is with the Arlo, but the blink system just uses AA lithium batteries and the concensus seems to be that you’ll get two years out of them which seems fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. Not sure what the requirement is with the Arlo, but the blink system just uses AA lithium batteries and the concensus seems to be that you’ll get two years out of them which seems fine.

Depends on use. I like knowing my cameras record 24/7 in the hotspots. Wireless won't be recording all the time only when something happens and if the motion detection turns it on.

Also if you are going wireless I would be making sure you have no black spots or could be a whole waste of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back