Wireless Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my neighbour has just asked me if he can put a consumer unit on his wall and get distributor to connect meter new tails to(whilst leaving original cu in place ) it without him having any circuits connected as he says he wants to put circuits in at later date ,I dont want to get involved in it myself but said I would ask you guys if this has been done before , thanks ,he is a nice bloke just has some funny ideas .

Sponsored Links
Most DNOs want know about the safety of the installation or the credentials of the installer before connecting up.

It is probable that the DNO wont want to even be bothered with this.

His best bet would be to ask the supplier to install an isolation switch after the meter. Your neighbour then could install a Henley block with tails to the old CU.

Tails to the new CU would then be run AFTER the new consumer unit and associated wiring has been done.

Note the AFTER. Supplies are never connected before the installation is done and properly tested.
Also please remind you neighbour that running any new circuit, or the installation of a new consumer unit must be notifiable to the local authority before any work takes place.

Thanks for advice , will pass it on , out of curiosity ,I have a 6mm Tae cable which is 10mtrs long and it has 2 x 2.5mm Tae cables joined at end which feed 5 double socket outlets per cable ,I am due a periodic inspection on house soon is this classed as ok as 2 smaller cables running off a larger one , the mcb is a 32amp,thanks for help..

Thanks for advice , will pass it on , out of curiosity ,I have a 6mm Tae cable which is 10mtrs long and it has 2 x 2.5mm Tae cables joined at end which feed 5 double socket outlets per cable ,I am due a periodic inspection on house soon is this classed as ok as 2 smaller cables running off a larger one , the mcb is a 32amp,thanks for help..

No, as this is effectively two radial circuits off a 32A protective device. If the two 2.5mm T&E cables were interconnected to form a ring then this would (in most cases) be suitable for connection to a 32A MCB. However, whether or not running from a single 6mm conductor into a ring made of 2x2.5mm is an acceptable installation method is another question, it certainly wouldn't be good practice...

Sponsored Links
However, whether or not running from a single 6mm conductor into a ring made of 2x2.5mm is an acceptable installation method is another question, it certainly wouldn't be good practice...

I see nothing which would prohibt it, providing the circuit is properly designed, the joint would have to quite easily accessable and if its not obvious where it is to be found, then documented (anything else would be a headache at periodic time!)

As to good practice....I suppose it depends on the logic behind it... if its just lashed onto the end of a redunant circuit, then its probably a work around to save cash, or disruption. But if you wanted to provide an isolator or RCD local to the area the circuit serves...

Perhaps if you put a 32A breaker at the union and called the first bit a distribution circuit, then it might sit a bit better but not really change a great deal :LOL:

It is certainly not a standard circuit. Probably not unsafe from a current carrying standpoint (if those sockets are a ring).
If they are not then CPD should be at 20A.

Should raise a code 2 in your inspection if its a ring, code 1 if they are two added on radials.......

As to good practice....I suppose it depends on the logic behind it... if its just lashed onto the end of a redunant circuit, then its probably a work around to save cash, or disruption. But if you wanted to provide an isolator or RCD local to the area the circuit serves...

Perhaps if you put a 32A breaker at the union and called the first bit a distribution circuit, then it might sit a bit better but not really change a great deal :LOL:

Indeed, the system in my parents garage isn't too dissimilar, 6mmsq T&E down to 32A rotary isolator and ring to garage sockets. I think it would depend on how obvious the joint between the two cables is, otherwise there could be some confusion if any work were carried out on the circuit or CU at a later date.

I've found the "ring on the end of a bit of 6mm" a couple of times, and also had a so-called electrician try to tell me the NIC had advised him this was perfectly acceptable practice. This I find difficult to believe as my experience of NIC tech advice, while not unhelpfull, tend to be by-the-book-and-cover-your-back in the advice they give.

Personally I think it's a shoddy or inelegant way to do a job, and can lead to confusion when people work on it at a later date, and makes R1R2 and ring continuity testing "intresting". That said so long as the earth loops are in spec there's no immediate danger.

When I've encountered this setup on a consumer unit change I've stuck it on a 20A MCB and called it a radial.

Personally I think it's a shoddy or inelegant way to do a job, and can lead to confusion when people work on it at a later date, and makes R1R2 and ring continuity testing "intresting".

Perhaps it should be treated as two circuits, a radial distribution circuit which then feeds into a ring final circuit, but the change happens without further fusing down as the rfc is already protected by the 30/32A OPD at the origin...

Granted it takes a bit longer to test... perhaps charge it as two circuits...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back