Wireless options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I would like to install a wireless control for my CH. It is pure lazyness. I would like to turn on the heating from my bedroom without the programmer because we get up at different times from day to day :).

The current controller is this one:

With a standard Danfoss room thermostat in the hall.

There is also some strange unused spur by the boiler which is live but not used (just cables in the standard switch socket not connected, not the fused spur) and appears to turn on the boiler when the wires are put together?

I am competent enough to change the room thermostat for a wireless one but obviously the control unit would not be calling for the CH and do would be pointless (unless I (think) left it on constant which I do not want to do).

What are my options?

Can I somehow use the spur? I am wondering if it was installed for incase we wanted another controller?

EDIT I have taken a pic of the spur, when I connect brown and blue the boiler comes on and CH gets hot.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sponsored Links
You can't have more than one thermostat per zone.

If you want to move it around get a Honeywell CM921 or cm927 but leave optimisation switched off.

Can I not just do something with the spur cable? Is there just a straight wireless on/off system?

You can't have more than one thermostat per zone.

If you want to move it around get a Honeywell CM921 or cm927 but leave optimisation switched off.

Thanks for the reply. So even if the thermostat does not have an on/off at the moment, I could replace it with one with the functionality that would 'talk' to my current control unit?

Here is a pic of the inside of the current room thermo:

Sponsored Links
Ok, I have taken the front off the control unit and buzzed out the 'spur' cable.

At present the spur cable is connected to terminal 3 (DHW N) and N. I guess it is to allow the hot water to be turned on if the control unit fails?

Can I rewire it to terminal 4 HTG ON and put the wireless thermostat onto the 'spur' cable by the boiler?

Or do I need to just replace the control unit with a different wireless one?

Or....

Can I wire the wireless thermostat straight to the boiler?

Have I confused/annoyed everyone with my numerous posts?? :).

Any comments guys?

Can you locate where the existing room thermostat flex is wired into the system near the boiler? Pictures of the inside of the electrical connection box there would make it easier to help. It looks like it might be a gravity system for the hot water, are there any motorised valves also wired in or just the pump and boiler.

Can you locate where the existing room thermostat flex is wired into the system near the boiler? Pictures of the inside of the electrical connection box there would make it easier to help. It looks like it might be a gravity system for the hot water, are there any motorised valves also wired in or just the pump and boiler.

Hi Jack,

The existing stat is wired to the control unit, which goes to the boiler, Potterton Promax HE.

This is then heating a direct thermal store which heats the DHW via an internal coil and mains feed blender.

I don't think there are valves, just one pump on the boiler side of the thermal store and one on the other side for the CH.

I wonder if I could wire directly a remote stat into the boiler on the CH stat terminals (pigybacking the wires from the control unit).

Replace the stat with a Heatmiser wifi one, then you can use a computer/smartphone etc. to operate it.

Hi Galoka,

That sounds brilliant, however I am not sure it will work. I think it does not matter what the existing thermostat is doing if the seperate control unit is not set for the CH to be on. And I don't want the CH to be on all the time at the control unit because the pumps will also be constantly on etc.

Does the CH pump normally run all the time the programmer is set for heating ON?

If so that makes things a bit difficult.

It doesn't appear that the Lightwave stuff can be made to act as a complete system, for example unless I've missed it there's no explanation of how the wireless stats and radiator valves actually enable/disable the boiler and pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back