Wireless room stat - temperamental heating

Sponsored Links
newboy said:
The last thing that an intermittent fault would suggest would be a wiring error.
I beg to disagree. Think about it, particularly in the context of a wireless receiver.

The only "wiring error" that results in an intermitttant fault would be a loose terminal or bare wires intermittantly in contact with each other.

In the context of a wireless receiver operating on a licence exempt frequency intermittant operation is something that happens as no user has exclusive use of the frequency. All equipment operating on a licence exempt frequency has to tolerate loss of communication.

I beg to disagree. Think about it, particularly in the context of a wireless receiver.

I am thinking about it - start with basic fault finding before starting to take components apart.

A wiring error is the least likely explanation (a wiring fault is possible but lower down the list of possibilities than other causes)

I've come across several intermittent faults caused by incorrect wiring, especially where there is external control of the heating and hot water (S & Y Plan). The problem may only appear when a particular set of circumstances occurs at the same time. A simple example is one where the hot water works fine when it's 'on' at the same time as the heating, but not when 'on' its own. Others, are more random and may depend upon the state of a thermostat, or have more than one fault present.

However, if it used to work OK and the wiring hasn't been touched.

Sponsored Links
I don't disagree - but the basics need to be checked before 'diving' into the wiring/connections

The only "wiring error" that results in an intermittent fault would be a loose terminal or bare wires intermittently in contact with each other.
That is not an "error". An error occurs when something is wired incorrectly, e.g a wire connected to the wrong terminal.

I suggested, in an earlier post, that the OP check for a permanent 240Vac exists between the L and N terminals of the receiver. If the receiver is powered from an intermittent source, e.g the CH On terminal of the programmer, problems can occur.

Apologies for my recent silence, I had been trying various different things to get the damn thing to work properly. This evening, out of frustration I gave the receiver a thump (just the side of the fist not a full blown strop!) and it came to life. So it would seem that it could indeed be loose connection somewhere causing all this grief. I think I now need to find out how to turn off the power to the receiver so I can check and tighten the connections without frying myself! There must be a fused spur somewhere...

Hello all, I thought I would let you know the problem has been fixed. I called the electrician in who suggested trying a spare programmer he had that was the same as ours. I swapped them over and all is now good.
Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back