Wireless router and USB adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PCWorld are selling the Netgear DGB111GUK Starter Kit Wireless 54Mbps ADSL Modem Router & USB Adapter for around £50.
See http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...y&category_oid=-24976&fm=13&sm=1&tm=undefined
Excuse my Numpty questions, but when asking in the shop I get conflicting answers depending on who I am speaking to. Can someone help please.
What I want to achieve is have wireless internet connection anywhere in my home together with wireless connection to a printer which would be located adjacent to the router/USB adapter. I already have a modem provided from Taltalk so I assume this would become redundant if I installed the netgear router referred to above.
Firstly am I correct with this assumption.
Next, as the DGB111GUK has a USB adapter (whatever one of them is) I am assuming I could simple plug my USB Printer connection into this USB adapter port in the router and get wireless connection to my printer from my laptop. Am I right or am I talking rubbish as tends to be the case in these matters.
Asking the question in store with these Highly Trained Staff who appear to know even less than I do , I get various answers varying from "Yes it will work" to "No it won't work" and what I will need is a wireless router and a separate Wireless Printer Server to achieve what I want to do. As Printer servers come at a hefty £80, it would be Cheaper to buy a new wireless printer than just buy a Printer Server.
If my rantings make sense, could anyone advice me on what is the correct answer?

Sponsored Links

Yes.

I'll deal with teh most obvious issue first. Don't buy anything from PCWorld.Ever.

The router they are wating to sell you, as far as I'm aware, does not have an inbuilt print server. Does your printer have a network port ? If so you can connect to the router that way. If there is another PC near the router you can print wirelessly from the laptop via that PC.

Print servers are most certainly not £80. Have a look here > www.ebuyer.com

The USB adapter is to enable a PC/Laptop to connect wirelessly to the router. Are you sure your laptop doesnt already have wifi built in ??

if you have the printer set up on a desktop pc as a network printer, you should be able to print wirelessly from the laptop all the time the desktop pc is on.
Best way around it is a print server though. I went for the belkin one. Does the job alright

Sponsored Links

Yes.

I'll deal with teh most obvious issue first. Don't buy anything from PCWorld.Ever.

The router they are wating to sell you, as far as I'm aware, does not have an inbuilt print server. Does your printer have a network port ? If so you can connect to the router that way. If there is another PC near the router you can print wirelessly from the laptop via that PC.

Print servers are most certainly not £80. Have a look here > www.ebuyer.com

The USB adapter is to enable a PC/Laptop to connect wirelessly to the router. Are you sure your laptop doesnt already have wifi built in ??

First of all I must appologise for my degree of 'Numptyness', my University Education was conducted during the 1960's, you know, just after electricity was invented and computers were steam driven. Although involved professionally in computing it was in Industrial Control installations and when DOS was the OS.
My Printer has two USB ports and no network port. I assume by Network port you mean Ethernet?. The printer is an Epson 830U. When you suggested connecting the printer to the router via a network port, is that not what a printer server does? Presumably I can't connect my printer to the router via the USB port?
My present Laptop is new but I do have a second older Laptop which is a little limited in memory but is available for use. Both are wireless enabled. You suggested that I could use a second PC to print wirelessly via that PC. How would I connect the second Laptop up and how would I set up the arrangement to operate?
I had a look at ebuyer and once again confused myself as there is quite a bit to choose form at enormous price variations, and to be honest I just don't know what I need.
When you refer to the USB adaptor being to enable a Laptop/PC to connect to the router wirelessly, is this for the situation where a PC/Laptop is not wirelessly enabled and therefore necessary to use some form of USB transmitter in the non wireless PC?
You will have gathered form this dialogue, my networking knowledge is very near zero, hence my difficulty and confusion. The trouble is the employees in the High Street who are the only people I have access to are no more knowledgable than myself in most cases, as such the confusion increases with the very short sighted leading the totally blind.
Maybe with two wirelesly enabled Laptops at my disposal, wireless printing and wireless internet connection is achievable using the Netgear router I sourced. But how does a complete Numpty achieve these magic things.
Could I suggest setting up a 'Friend' discussion so as to not bore our DIYnot associated with my Numpty questions?

I assume by Network port you mean Ethernet?
Yes.

The printer is an Epson 830U. When you suggested connecting the printer to the router via a network port, is that not what a printer server does?
Correct , but some printers have inbuilt networking ability, although it would appear your does not.

Presumably I can't connect my printer to the router via the USB port?

Correct.

is this for the situation where a PC/Laptop is not wirelessly enabled and therefore necessary to use some form of USB transmitter in the non wireless PC?

Correct. But as both your laptops are wirelessly enabled, the USB dongle that comes with the starter pack is redundant.

You have two choices.

1. Purchase a router and print server. This will allow both printers to print wirelessly and surf internet throughout the house (range permitting) The downside to this is the cost of a print server. £48.

2. In effect use the old laptop as print server. Downside is it needs to be switched on when you want to print from the newer laptop, and must stay within a USB /Network cables distance of the router. Upside is you saved yourself £48.

Personally I think you would be nuts not to buy the printserver.

Buy this > http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118662 and this > http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120353

Total £81.59.

To install the router you will need your connection username and password that your ISP supplied you with. You wil also need to set up security on the router so that neighbours and passing students don't surf on your connection for free.

The router, although not a favourite of mine, is pretty straightword to setup and comes with a 'wizard' to get you going , so that bit should be self expanatory. The printserver also comes with an install app , but may need some help to get just right. By all means post back here if you need help.

First of all I must appologise for my degree of 'Numptyness'

You wanna see numptyness ? Go look at my posts in the plumbing section :LOL:

Could I suggest setting up a 'Friend' discussion so as to not bore our DIYnot associated with my Numpty questions?

Thats OK , but the forum is used as an info resource for others and if all help is carried out behind closed doors noone learns anything :)

Thanks a million for your comprehensive reply BoxCleva.
These questions are sometimes generated from pre-conceptions and precarious interpretation of manufacturers instructions. If someone such as yourself who obviously has far greater experience can provide the guide through the gobbledegook, then the problems disolve.
I agree with your views about the open DIYnot dialogue and as such helpfull to others, but of course it exposes the Numpties such as myself, thank goodness I am anonymous which spares by blushes.
I will follow your advice with repect to my queries and will be back in touch, even if it is to say I am sorted. I suspect it will be for further advice.
Thanks again

Back