Wireless Thermostat advise. Please help.

With your current system as it is, you cannot just add a room thermostat as it will interfere with the operation of the hot water. Sorry.

So if I wired the thermostat to the boiler, every time that the thermostat turns on the heat - would this just heat the water as per usual?

In which way would it mess things for me?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I was ignored so carry on. :rolleyes:

Sorry about that.

So after Stem's great help, it seems like I have a boiler which contains an integral pump it appears to me that the timeswitch says 'on', the boiler fires and hot water is pumped to the hot water cylinder and radiators and that is the sole extent of your control.

I'd now like to wire a wireless receiver and then a have wireless thermostat in my lounge to control the operational functions of the boiler, which will be pretty much _ on and off and set time the room temperature and program heating times.

Stem believes I am not able to do the above as this will interfere with the hot water.

Any suggestions? Any work-arounds which does not carry any major installation?

I disagree with Stem but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I would guess theres a way to turn the heatinng off manually in the summer.

In which case you could easily control the boiler with a room stat wired through a programmer or just a simple summer/winter switch.

Sponsored Links
I disagree with Stem but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I would guess theres a way to turn the heatinng off manually in the summer.

In which case you could easily control the boiler with a room stat wired through a programmer or just a simple summer/winter switch.

At the moment all I do is using the timer in the boiler. This time has a button with the options - ON/AUTO/OFF. In the auto option I could program the hours I want the heat to turn on automatically a day, etc.
The hot water is heated all the time that the boiler is on.

So to my knowledge, I'd like to wire a wireless thermostat receiver using the existing cable which is wired to the timer. Then a wireless thermostat in my lounger (or wherever I take it) will do the same functions that the timer. ON/AUTO/OFF.

Does the above not make sense?

No, you need to be able to control the HTG and DHW seperately even though it doesn't.

The room stat will control the boiler so no DHW with a summer/winter switch or programmer.

There's lots of questions need answering.

So if I wired the thermostat to the boiler, every time that the thermostat turns on the heat - would this just heat the water as per usual? In which way would it mess things for me?
Here's what will happen. Then you can make your own decision whether to do it or not.

When the room thermostat is calling for heat, the hot water cylinder will also be heated. When the room thermostat is satisfied, it would turn off the boiler and pump and so the hot water would also go off too.

OK, the hot water will come back on again when the room thermostat calls for heat, so you might get away with it in the winter when the heating is running most of the time. If the weather was mild like now, and someone ran a bath you may have to wait a while for the heating to come on and the hot water cylinder to reheat.

In the summer when the room temperature is 22 degrees, and the thermostat is set at say 21, the radiators will not come on at all, neither will the hot water. If you want hot water you will need to turn up the room thermostat, and of course the radiators will come on too.

OK you could turn off all of the radiators at their manual valves and then turn the room thermostat up, but it's not the right way to do it.

What do you do now in the summer when you only want hot water?

or you can have a summer/winter switch or a programmer.

I think the boiler was only intended for winter use, although there may be valves to manually isolate the heating in the summer.

Electrically it wouldn't be a problem.

Electrically it wouldn't be a problem.
Of course it's a problem. You can't control manual valves electrically :rolleyes: the clues in the name.

Perhaps you can explain how to wire the room thermostat so that the hot water will continue to operate when the thermostat is satisfied.

There are two electrical items in this scenario

1. Pump - turn it off and the heating and hot water both go off.
2. Boiler- turn it off and the heating and hot water both go off.

Don't need to explain as the questions remain unanswered.

A manual valve would turn the heating primaries off if the summer.

As for Hot water the heating period would give more than enough hot water, so why not control the heating temperature.

As said for your benefit, a programmer can control the boiler from the DHW and HTG on programs, the stat is inline with T4.

Alternatively you can use a change over switch (summer/winter)

The boiler has not been installed to provide hot water only unless there are valves fitted to isolate the heating circuit.

Questions and answers = problems solved.

Still a piece of cake to fit a room stat, shucks you could even chuck in a relay to switch the boiler.

stem said:
What do you do now in the summer when you only want hot water?

This summer I turned off all the radiators and switch on the boiler for whenever I needed hot water.

But I found out that I can heat up the water in the summer without using the boiler. I have a switch for hot water (sink and bath).

There is a white cable which goes from the top of the water cylinder to a switch. Please see the photos below:

20130103174935.jpg

[/img]

20130103175220.jpg

20130103175046.jpg

Alternatively you can use a change over switch (summer/winter)
What would you wire the switch to?

shucks you could even chuck in a relay to switch the boiler.
Why would you need a relay? Fig 39 on page 38 of the boiler manual shows that the pump and boiler are connected to the same terminal (3), so the thermostat could be simply wired in series with the timeswitch contacts and control them both together as the timeswitch does now.

In the photo below, there are the 3 pipes which come out of my gas boiler. The one with the yellow switch I assume it is the gas pipe and the other two? Could I put a manual switch in any of those two to stop the heating going to the radiators?

20130104093252.jpg

No Galegp, you would need to go back to where the heating splits from the how water primaries.

If you could trace all the pipes and post a drawing, you'll probably find one or two of the valves in the cupboard already isolate the heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back