Wireless Thermostat advise. Please help.

Alternatively you can use a change over switch (summer/winter)
What would you wire the switch to?

shucks you could even chuck in a relay to switch the boiler.
Why would you need a relay? Fig 39 on page 38 of the boiler manual shows that the pump and boiler are connected to the same terminal (3), so the thermostat could be simply wired in series with the timeswitch contacts and control them both together as the timeswitch does now.

You need to take the room stat out of the equation for summer use.

A programmer with the room stat connected to T4, htg call for example.

A summer winter switch will also work as would a relay.

A summer/winter switch is the simplest, where you can direct fire the boiler and pump in the summer, or through the stat for the winter.

Just thought of another posible way as well which is even easier.

T2 the cooling circuit in the room stat. when the stat is calling the boiler pump works from T3, when sat from T2. need to think about this one.

Sponsored Links
Tap connectors on the F & R pipes. Nice

Absence of a piped PRV I also spotted :eek:

Ok, this is my pathetic way to find out my system. Apologies for the draw and the poor quality of the photos. Perhaps you can find out for me how to isolate the heating for the summer months.

All the manual switches which I find are on the photos below.

20130104103839.jpg

20130104103630.jpg

20130104102649.jpg

20130104102611.jpg

20130104102600.jpg

Not happy. maybe a drawing error.

What can you tell us about the cylinder.

Is there a pipe out of the top, pic please, not too close.

Sponsored Links
[
Here's what will happen. Then you can make your own decision whether to do it or not.

When the room thermostat is calling for heat, the hot water cylinder will also be heated. When the room thermostat is satisfied, it would turn off the boiler and pump and so the hot water would also go off too.

OK, the hot water will come back on again when the room thermostat calls for heat, so you might get away with it in the winter when the heating is running most of the time. If the weather was mild like now, and someone ran a bath you may have to wait a while for the heating to come on and the hot water cylinder to reheat.

In the summer when the room temperature is 22 degrees, and the thermostat is set at say 21, the radiators will not come on at all, neither will the hot water. If you want hot water you will need to turn up the room thermostat, and of course the radiators will come on too.

OK you could turn off all of the radiators at their manual valves and then turn the room thermostat up, but it's not the right way to do it.

Hi Stem,

so now assuming that I want to go ahead and install the programmable wireless thermostat, we take out of the equation the summer months.

Which of the below is my best option:

1- Heatmiser PRT-WTS Kit - Programmable Touchscreen Wireless Thermostat Kit

Thermostat instructions - http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/downloads/1351686492prtwts_manual.pdf

Receiver instructions - http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/downloads/1351686576rc1wts_manual.pdf

2- Heatmiser PRTHW-WTS Kit - Wireless Programmable Thermostat with HW Output

Thermostat instructions - http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/downloads/1351686536prthwwts_manual.pdf

You don't need the 'HW' version, but you could use it if you wanted to add control of the hot water by adding a motorised valve later on. For now you would just use the heating function.

If you don't plan to add a motorised valve later, go with the basic PRT.

Not happy. maybe a drawing error.

What can you tell us about the cylinder.

Is there a pipe out of the top, pic please, not too close.

Yes, there is a pipe out of the top of the cylinder. I then followed that pipe and goes to a water tank. See pics below.

20130104112745.jpg

20130104113351.jpg

20130104113300.jpg

A summer/winter switch is the simplest, where you can direct fire the boiler and pump in the summer, or through the stat for the winter.
OK good idea. I think the term Summer/Winter switch confused me as in the summer position the rads would still get hot. Thermostat override sounds better.

It's the two pipes from the boiler to where they split for the heating and connect to the cylinder we need.

doitall";p="2627827 said:
It's the two pipes from the boiler to where they split for the heating and connect to the cylinder we need.[/quote

It has to be the one below!!???

20130104161119.jpg

20130104161207.jpg

There will be two pipes that connect to the cylinder and go back to the boiler.

Not connected to the shower pump or pipes.

The red valve in you last pic where do the pipes go.

On the left goes inside the wall and on the right goes to the cylinder.

It has to be this one right?

This is a draw of the pipes for that switch.
Apologies for the poor quality and my bad drawing skills. :)

20130104170340.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back