Wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My house has a wireless thermostat to control the boiler. All works fine....until the batteries run out. I want to hard wire the unit but can anyone advise me on whether a fused spur would be a suitable solution with a 3amp fuse?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I had same problem, cure was two wireless thermostats. They are not in the same rooms, and both have different times when they are active, so if all batteries OK then one sets night temperature, the other day temperature. However if one fails then not left without central heating.

Main advantage is should one fail, then other one will insure nothing freezes up, clearly if in the house we simply fit new batteries, but if not in house, then nothing freezes.

Hi everyone

My house has a wireless thermostat to control the boiler. All works fine....until the batteries run out. I want to hard wire the unit but can anyone advise me on whether a fused spur would be a suitable solution with a 3amp fuse?

Thanks in advance

Is it really that difficult to change batteries once in every couple of years? Most likely the thermostat has a low battery warning symbol on it as well.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, the thermostat has hardwire terminals as well as batteries. So it is designed to be hard wired.

You said it was wireless.

If it works on a battery then you cannot run it on the mains.

Was there previously a non-battery thermostat?

What is the model number?

Just to clarify, the thermostat has hardwire terminals as well as batteries. So it is designed to be hard wired.
And you're sure, are you, that those are terminals to allow a 230V supply to be used to power the electronics, not volt-free contacts to be used for hard-wiring as an alternative to the wireless control for the boiler?

Is that how thermostats are made?

Perhaps it only has a battery back-up and that is why it seems to be a pain to replace them.

We have gone from wireless to not wireless, so who knows what it is?

Is that how thermostats are made?
I doubt it.

Perhaps it only has a battery back-up and that is why it seems to be a pain to replace them.
Who knows.

I've got a Drayton Digistat, and that's a PITA to replace the batteries, because unless you wait until it shows the low battery symbol it loses all the stored settings when you take the batteries out. Problem is it stops talking to the receiver in the boiler long before it thinks the batteries are dead. And don't get me started on how the tw@s who designed it decided to store the temperature settings for each time period :mad::mad::mad:.

But it has no terminals for wires of any sort.

We have gone from wireless to not wireless, so who knows what it is?
What is the model number?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back